Scorpions/tarantulas

I've got a question. I'm moving down in the next couple weeks. I've done my research about all the "bugs on steroids". How common is it for large spiders, scorpions, and tarantulas to get inside your home? We are going to be on Maya beach. I've been told that the tarantulas eat the scorpions and are quite tame. Can't imagine them being tame but that's what I was told. I have 2 indoor kitties. Any feedback or advice?

We've had a couple scorpions and tarantulas in our house. We have a thatched roof which we've learned draws all sorts of critters. We just sweep them out the door but we do also check the bed at night before crawling in for sleep. We know of some folks that have been stung by the scorpions but have been told it's along the lines of getting stung by a wasp. Speaking of wasps, there's a tarantula wasp that kills the scorpions.

Jcronin1964 wrote:

I've got a question. I'm moving down in the next couple weeks. I've done my research about all the "bugs on steroids". How common is it for large spiders, scorpions, and tarantulas to get inside your home? We are going to be on Maya beach.

That would be somewhat dependent on the type of building construction and how high above ground level it is. At or just above ground level gives many more sheltered places for bugs to call home. 
Where in Maya Beach, I have several friends with places there. From them I have learned that the lagoon side being more sheltered from the prevailing winds, tends to have far more bugs than the Caribbean side.

Jcronin1964 wrote:

I have 2 indoor kitties. Any feedback or advice?

The human health problems created by a full time indoor cat bathroom, far outway any health hazards from the ocasional spider or scorpion that might wander in.