Long distance relationship and moving to Belgium for it

Hello everyone,

First I'd like to tell you a bit about the situation and myself. My name is Sierra (19) and I'm a non-EU resident. I live in America. My boyfriend is Belgian (21) and I've been wanting to start a life with him there. We've known each other a year and met through the Internet. We're a long distance couple and have never met either. However, I don't know where to begin. My question is, what sort of visa should I obtain to live with him? I want to reside there permanently but don't know what visa to get or what to do when getting there. Any help given would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-S

If you want to live with your boyfriend in Belgium, you can apply for the cohabitation visa. You can find information about it here:

https://unitedstates.diplomatie.belgium … ation-visa

And this blog has a lot of good information:

http://www.liveinbelgium.be/category/le … tion-visa/

My situation is a little similar to yours - I'm American (22) and my boyfriend (26) is Belgian, and we have been dating for almost 2 years after I met him when I studied abroad in Gent, so I'm planning to apply for this visa. The thing with the cohabitation visa is that in addition to all the documents you need, you and your partner have to be 21+ (18 is okay if you have lived together for a year), and you also have to be in a relationship for a minimum of 2 years if you haven't lived together before.

In those past 2+ years, you have to provide proof of relationship and you have to have visited each other at least 3 times, which should add up to at least 45 days. So in your situation, if you're able to, I think you should meet him first in Belgium like for a holiday. What's nice is that American citizens can visit the Schengen Area up to 90 days just on our passport.

I hope this helps!

Thank you a lot. This definitely helps a bunch. On the downside though, we both wouldn't be able to afford doing such. I'll probably have to try and find some other visa, but which one is probably going to be difficult. Again thanks for your help. It's definitely appreciated.

-S

@isaiz what about marriage? Do you still have to know him for two years and have visited each other at least 45 days?

@Sharon Ndutakimani

hello please note that this this is an old thread and the OP hasn't visited the website for the past 4 years.

I am closing the thread and I invite you to participate on recent threads of the Belgium forum so that active members may guide you if you have any questions.

All the best

Bhavna

[Topic Closed]

Closed