Coming to PR in early December

Hello,
  We are a retired couple from NYC who love PR, and are planning a trip in December for probably 10 days or so.

We generally know about Old San Juan, where we have stayed, and we like being in the city (and also near the beach, tho we are not big beach people).  But there are some things we are interested in knowing:

1. any recommendations for unusual places that we might not find on a general PR website?

2. what is the current status of El Yunque at this point?  We were there many years ago and want to visit again, but we aren't sure as to its current condition.  Also - any recommendations about where to stay there.

3. does anyone know of an airbnb in OSJ that we could rent for a week or so  - something in town or maybe the edge of town;  but not on a really noisy street.  I hate to mention this but we do have another concern:  bedbugs.  We just came home from France and had to move twice because of bedbugs, so needless to say, this is a major concern for us.  So if someone knows of something personally that - as far as you know - has no bedbugs, we'd really like to know about it, tho we have not been able to finalize our dates quite yet.

4.  Any thoughts or recommendation about Vieques?  Is it worth a trip from OSJ?  Any information would be much appreciated.

3. lastly, we're very interested in meeting people in town - expats, locals, whomever.  We are quite sociable  and enjoy meeting new people.

I'll just mention one other thing.  I am an amateur musician (quite amateur) -- I play the viola and would love to meet up with other musicians.  I plan on bringing my viola, tho I'm not sure yet.  I play largely classical music and some country/bluegrass, but I'm willing to try anything, even a local orchestra if anyone knows of one.

Thank you all so much for any information you can provide.  And if you know of something that I haven't asked about, please feel free to tell us about it.  Thanks!

1. Tons. What do you like? Food? Adventure? Crazy mountain roads?

2. We were there a few months ago. The only easy trail officially open was Angelito, and even it was partially open (The bridge over the stream is gone). If you want to, you can break the rules and scramble across the creek and still arrive to the swimming hole, though.

3. No info here

4. Sorry, never been to Vieques, though have been to Culebra many times, so if you decide to go there instead, I've got info for you :)

If you like local food and entertainment, go to Guavate on Sunday and hit one of the lechoneras for roasted pig and sides.  If you don't eat pork, go for drinks and enjoy the music and dancing.  Our favorite is El Rancho Original, but there are 4 or 5 of these establishments in Guavate, maybe more.

I do not know of any Airbnb's in OSJ, but there is an excellent B&B called Casa Sol.  It is located on Calle Sol, wonderful location that is accessible to anything you might want to do in OSJ.  Also, regardless where you stay in the old city, don't bring a car unless you know that there is parking where you plan to stay.  It is very easy and not too expensive to take a taxi from the airport and you won't spend your vacation looking for a place to park :)

Old San Juan has tons of Airbnb, go to the site. Food in PR is everywhere, best food is a matter of opinion. I prefer the little hole in the wall places, the street vendors and the places by the side of the road. You can always go to fancy restaurants for 3-5 times the price.

There are plenty of expats in PR, they are everywhere, but you can also connect with the facebook group "Expats in Puerto Rico" which I run, we have around 950 members and once a month do a get together in one part of the island or another where you can meet 20-30 members face to face.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/454610751563324/

The group is approved by this site expats.com

Thanks very much.  Now we're not sure if it will be early or late December, but we will be there!

Sybil456 wrote:

Thanks very much.  Now we're not sure if it will be early or late December, but we will be there!

It is also your wedding, so plan accordingly.

Winter in PR means cooler summer weather so low 80's and in the low 70's for the low. Sea water will still be around 85 degrees.