Soon to be Scott

Hi all.

I'm moving my wife and daughter over to Scotland on my wife's ansestory visa.
We should be in Scotland in December.
LOL understand it might be hot that time of the year.

There any newbies to give advice on do's and don't?

Welcome to the forum.  :)

Take the time to read other threads here for information. Also check out the Scotland guide in the Discover section top of this page.

Will do.

There is a lot of contradicting comments on other platforms. Are the Scots friendly or not. Scotland nice or not. Every comment changes from night to day in an instance.

Hi and welcome to the platform.

Questions like "Are the Scots friendly or not?" kind of confuse me; as if any one race, nation, religion, you name it can be classified as friendly, or nasty, or just plain indifferent is nuts.  There are good and bad everywhere, which probably explains the different comments you have picked up across the different platforms.

A more relevant question would be, "will I understand them, or will they understand me" :)

Whatever, it's a great place and I'm sure you will love it.  I can guarantee you will meet some great Scots and some that you would wish lived somewhere else ..... that's life, my friend.

I wish you and your family the best of luck in your journey.

Cynic
Expat Team

I'm sure I will love it there.

I have got a lot riding on this so I have to make it work.
So I want to make sure I prepare myself for what is to come.
I will be staying in tillicoultry, but I want to look at fife.
Any views on where to pitch tent?

I didn't mean to offend.

Just read a comment from a south African that moved there and someone actually told her that they don't like South Africans but it can't be helped.
But I also heard that someone had made plenty friends and the Scottish people are very friendly.
What I meant with contradicting stories.

I have many Scotish friends and they are truly great, as Cynic quite rightly says, you always have some idiots where ever you go. I hope you like Whisky and Rugby :D

I can tick both boxes luckily

Wes123 wrote:

I'm sure I will love it there.

I have got a lot riding on this so I have to make it work.
So I want to make sure I prepare myself for what is to come.
I will be staying in tillicoultry, but I want to look at fife.
Any views on where to pitch tent?

Both places are nice; we have family friends who live in Glenrothes.  The eastern side of Scotland is generally not quite so wet as the west coast, but if you're into the wilderness, then the north is the place; Inverness is a nice place.

Wes123 wrote:

I didn't mean to offend.

Just read a comment from a south African that moved there and someone actually told her that they don't like South Africans but it can't be helped.
But I also heard that someone had made plenty friends and the Scottish people are very friendly.
What I meant with contradicting stories.

Two thoughts; there are xenophobes everywhere in the world and perhaps someone in Scotland didn't like her - whatever, the simple fact is that in general, you will either like a place or hate it, the truth is normally somewhere in the middle of those two extremes.  If you are genuinely concerned, then perhaps you need to consider where you are at the moment with Scotland in general.

We moved to the UK from Holland; our eldest daughter hated the place and went back to Holland at the earliest opportunity; her 2 siblings are the opposite.  My wife and I will follow our eldest back to Holland, it was never our intention to settle here - I don't think our family is that different from many others.

BTW - "Scott" is a boys name; a person from Scotland is a "Scot" - they can get a bit twitchy about it.

Thanks. Any place where those mungies insects are Less?

Nope. 😀

:o good to know

You will not find many Midgies (insects) in Fife or Tillicoultry, you do find them in many parts, but, mostly North and West Scotland is where they are more aggressive.

Aye, those Mackenzie and Mackay clans were nasty people. :)

:cool: yes, my old boss was a Mackenzie from Skye. RIP Donald Alastair Mackenzie

Thanks. The couple taking us in for the time being said we have nothing to worry about. My wife and Google seem to work together to make sure I have unnecessary nerves