Landfill near Rio Grande de Patillas

We are looking at the condo properties for sale in the area near the defunct landing strip close to the mouth of the Rio Grande de Patillas, southeast coast near Puerto Patillas.  Namely Villa Phi Delta.  A friend who lives in Patillas told me that there may be a new landfill going in there soon.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?  Links to articles in English would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have not heard anything about it but I'm not surprised.  The existing landfills have (all?) been declared out of compliance with EPA regs.

And after Maria they got to have somewhere to dump the trash.   🧐

Yes I ran across a website that mentioned the landfills were not in compliance with the EPA.  my husband was reading about the public water supply containing lead!

I would like to get the water at my house tested.  We installed whole house filtration system but I doubt it removes lead   

I think the water company publishes an annual report of water testing, but do you trust them??   :o

The airport is being sold if fairly secret, it is about 21.5 acres of land, some say it will be used to store vegetation that was ripped up by Maria. I do not believe that story as most of that vegetation is already put in different places and 21 acres is a lot of acres to just put dead vegetation. According to an article it was sold for about 138,000 that is less than 7k an acre in a very special area. Storing vegetation there sounds like a bad business deal, so likely there is more to this. As to Department of Natural resources and landfills, most landfills in PR do not meet regulation, I believe only about 3 do and DNR has been trying to close the others for many year with little results. This article has a little bit about it. http://www.laesquina.com/web/gobierno/s … -patillas/

Thank you.  It seems that maybe there was some flurry of information and it just went quiet?  I guess that's something we'll live with on the island.  Not much different from my home town in Texas actually!

DosLibras wrote:

Thank you.  It seems that maybe there was some flurry of information and it just went quiet?  I guess that's something we'll live with on the island.  Not much different from my home town in Texas actually!

A lot of issues in PR are publicised and people go on a frenzy, 20 days later, most people forgot except for a handful that are directly affected and tend to do a lot of protests.