Just moved in Mexico and I feel alienated.

My family just moved to Mexico two months ago because my dad got a job offer there. I was enrolled in a very prestigious university in Mexico and I got so much culture shock. Everything is really a foreign event for me. I feel so alienated because few of my classmates are scary to befriend with. There are still students who seem friendly but majority of them are quite unfriendly. I don't even know how to approach them and it's been a month since I got enrolled but I get acquainted to just a very few people. Any tips on how to befriend Mexican people?

Hello,

I suggest you enroll in international style Latin and ballroom classes, if they have this.  Otherwise, Argentine tango dance classes.  Salsa and Bachata are boring.  Also, take up jazz piano and jazz violin or cello.  Hang out with great musicians, and frequent real jazz clubs.

You'll meet friends fast.  Dancing protects you number one from getting dementia.  Playing a string instrument protects you number 2.

Jake

Hi Claire,

I've been here 9 years now and to be fair it was difficult to integrate at first, what I would say is don't be out off if you feel people are funny with you, what Irealised after a while is Mexican people are generally slightly scared of us in the sense they don't trust their English skills, they generally feel that we have come from better than them and for that reason are a little bit backwards in coming forwards so to speak, of course this is rediculous but it's generally how I've seen things.
The other poster is right, you should look to enroll in some sort of after school activity or group, if you like sport then join a team, when you are enclosed into that group you will find people will be a bit more confident with you.
Bottom line is it certainly takes a while to adjust and learn the places to go. There are quite a few nice English bars around the city if you are interested in that scene I can point you in the right direction.
Hope you're good.
Matt

Since you are at an University I would recommend hanging around the English classes. You will find people who are eager to speak with you as they will want to practice their English skills. When I was first here I was somewhat of an introvert. That changed after awhile. You will need to be out going and approach people.

Claire I know exactly how you feel. I was in the University in Argentina and I had a lot of problems making friends. Later on I was told it was because they were scared to approach me. You really have to be brave and put yourself out there say hi and have a couple of general get to know you questions ready for people and you'll make friends at the University. But I think it is also good idea to enroll in some kind of activity because you do meet people that are also interested in what you're interested in and that and easy way to start up a conversation

Ya man.  Im here you want talk. Im on the same boat.

Hi there - I felt really moved by your post. You know, I don't know how old you are but trust me when I say, I think we all feel this way and it's been my experience that THEY...are probably just curious about you.

I travel to MX often and the Mexicans are such loving and friendly people.  If you smile, say HOLA and be silly with them, they typically warm right up.

Don't lose heart = you're not alone and friends are eager to find you.

Robin

Hey, buddy. I also just moved to Mex, and we both have to remember city kids will be city kids wherever you are. You just got here though. Give it some time, they'll come to you. Just be you. Right now youre whats trending, get me? You're something to talk about to them right now. This too shall pass.

great recommendation changiolite!