Saudi marriage laws

I am an American man and want to marry a Saudi Arabian girl. I recently read an article however that stated government law prohibits the marriage if I've served in a foreign military. Is this true and if so is their a way to get around such an obstacle, a special permission, writ or approval? Perhaps becoming a Saudi citizen if possible? Also prohibits if the girl is younger than 30? I'm 33 and she's 20...

Thank you anything helps

Well let me clarify one thing, forget about getting Saudi citizenship.  When a Saudi woman marries a foreign man, she also has to sign an undertaking that her husband or her kids won't necessarily have the right to Saudi citizenship.  After that, it is at the discretion of the government.  They are now discussing about granting citizenship to kids of such marriages but the outcome is not confirmed.  Forget about spouses.

Yes, the law states that but you could try to get special permission and / or approval.  Especially since, and I am assuming, it was the US Military?  if so, they have a special soft spot for the US here in government circles.   The age gap between the spouses should not be more than 15 years - that's what I know.  I am not aware of a minimum requirement but then again, things change here quickly.

Thanks for that much info, hopefully I get more...

If she is under 25 is hard to get permission.

Why is that?

Minimum age requirement is 30 + so you are not meeting the 1st requirement. But it is different from case to case and usually studied completely before acceptance or rejection. Request is studied and approved by multiple govt agencies.
Best of Luck.

Like for what? To see how much we love each other or how much money I make? In truth I don't make alot of money, but I do love the girl and know stuff about her that family never will...

No that has nothing to do with it.  Discouraging marrying non-Saudis is the primary reason - to preserve culture and traditions.  Similar forms of rules exist in one manner or another in almost GCC countries.

In this culture (and subcontinent and others as well), below the age of 30, a girl is considered to be of a "prime" marriageable age.  And above 30, her "value" is perceived to diminish.  That means that she has much higher chances to find a husband at a certain age group within the country and if it is made difficult to marry an "outsider", the likelihood of her marrying a local are higher.  If you read through the rules, you would understand e.g. a girl can get married at 27 IF she has a disability and / or has unknown parents.  And before an unnecessary debate starts; let me clarify that I am just relating the norms and facts of the situation as it stands - none of the above is my opinion.

And to be clear, we are not discussing marriage per se but the recognition of the same in Saudi Arabia.  You can always get married to her; say in the US, but that marriage would never be recognized in Saudi Arabia.

How would visiting her family work then?

Well she can visit; she is a Saudi national.  Someone would have to sponsor a visa for you to accompany her.  However, you couldn't roam around with her in public as her husband as in the eyes of the law, you wouldn't be.

Secondly, do you have the buy-in from her family?   her legal guardian / father can refuse her hand in marriage and there would be nothing you can do about it.  He can even prevent her from leaving the country by withdrawing permission for her to travel.  You need to be aware of the differences in this part of the world.

What about traveling around as an "American" couple in lieu of any Saudi citizenship, we would just be tourits then right:? And yeah I am aware of the dowry thing, still working on it.

I am going to give some details because the devil is in the details and you need to know how difficult it is to handle what you are proposing.

As an example:

Assuming you pass through immigration separately - separate lines for GCC nationals. You can travel around like that but in absence of her having an American passport; the whole ruse will fail if you run into any brush with the officialdom e.g. a car accident or whatever.  In that situation, both of you will be in serious trouble.  Besides, you would stick out like a sore thumb anyway i.e. an obvious Arab looking girl with a non-arab guy (my assumption - correct me if I am wrong) - will attract unnecessary attention. Then unless you stay with her parents, you won't be able to stay together in hotels without providing identity documents along with proof of marriage.   You will not be able to provide that. Hotels photocopy passport and visa on check in - the moment she takes out Saudi passport or ID, the problem will start.   

So the only way this "really" works in a risk free manner is for her to get American nationality, renounce her Saudi nationality (if it is not stripped by the government first - as they don't allow dual nationality), get a visa and then come with you.  Don't know if she would be willing to do that.

Beyond dowry, you need to find out if they will ACCEPT their daughter marrying a non-Muslim foreigner or even for that matter, a foreigner.  The majority of the general populace wouldn't even consider it - dowry or no dowry.

So in short, if you want to maintain the association with Saudi and the family here; you would need to go through proper channels by applying for permission and hoping for the best.  For that, you would need her family on your side 100%. 

On another note, if you proceed with this, develop a thick skin.  I have friends who are in similar situations e.g. Pakistani guy married to a Saudi girl of Pakistani origin, through proper channels, wife speaking fluent Arabic etc and they get hassled at immigration almost every other time with some officers routinely making it difficult by asking the girl why she married a Pakistani.  The kids and husband don't have Saudi passports obviously, so most times, just to make a point, they let the woman through the GCC national line while they send the rest of the family to the busiest most crowded line for expats even if she is ok to wait with the family in the expat line.  Other issues in the country as well when moving around together.  Unfortunately, it is usually only an issue when the girl is Saudi - other way round is not a problem at all.  Official permission will not change attitudes.

I would convert for her and it would entail her becoming a US citizen only it seems. As far as looking the part, I do look it, in part...

Thank you for all of this.