Student life in Tanzania

Hello,

Studying in a foreign country is an exciting prospect, but at times students do not have enough information to make an informed decision. We invite you to share your own experiences about studying abroad in Tanzania.

What are the advantages of studying in Tanzania? What are the disadvantages?

Are there proper housing options for students, or do most students have to find their own accommodation?

Are living costs for students in Tanzania expensive? What is an average budget for a student per month, including rent, groceries, and social activities?

Is it easy to form a social circle in Tanzania? What are some of the preferred social activities?

Are there international student societies or community engagement programs for international students?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I really am not an education expert

1. Tanzania has no reputation even within East Africa as an education destination other that a few regional initiatives for selected Masters programmes in Economics and Law which were spread into several East African Universities. In the early days after independence a few Kenyans studied Law in the University of Dar Es Salaam.

2. Overall Tanzania Universities rank not so well in the global ranking of universities and one big challenge the country faces is quality of work force which reflects the quality of its education. The number of expatriates working in all sectors even for none specialized jobs reflect this. The large number of Tanzanians studying in neighbouring countries especially Kenya at high school level reflects the perception of Tanzanians themselves on quality of education in the country

3. The country has one f the highest number of Universities in East Africa

4. The Country's universities charge very low fees I guess the cheapest in East Africa. The only reason why Uganda attracts very many students from rest of East Africa is friendlier immigration procedures for students not lower fees --my opinion

5. Tanzania has one of the lowest cost of foods supported by the large tracts of land

6. accommodation can be a real challenge on both availability and cost

Hi Priscilla,
I am a proud product of Tanzanian education with a bachelor degree holder from the University of Dar es Salaam(Udsm) and a masters degree student( still in progress).
Tanzania education is among the best education in East Africa and Africa in general.
1.There are many options for students accommodation. Foreign students are guaranteed accommodation at Udsm and have their own building hall at the  main campus.You can also opt for other housing options outside the university.The surrounding areas are Survey,Mlimani city Mall,Changanyikeni,Mwenge.The Mall is one of the best places for all your shoppings,movie outings and more.

2.Tanzanian university students are very social and friendly.The surrounding people near the university are also friendly too. You will also meet other foreign students studying at Udsm.

3.I believe anyone can afford Tanzanian living cost.You will only have to adjust your lifestyle and avoid excessive personal expenses and needs.

4.Its easy to form social circles at Udsm.There are so many students associations and clubs you can join as well as international groups like AIESEC.

I am sure you will have a wonderful time at the university despite all other students challenges that every foreign students goes through at any university at any country but generally Tanzanian Education is one of the best option for your education and student experience. I am sure other universities in Tanzania share the same  status as Udsm.I also had a chance to visit St.Augustine university in Mwanza during a graduation ceremony. The university has the best environment you can get to admire,.the surrounding hanging rocks,.and the cool weather was stunning.Also the proud smiling faces of the graduates was amazing to witness.

I hope this info will help you.You can inbox me for more details.
Kind regards,
Annfranscy