Student life in India

Hello,

Studying in a foreign country is an exciting prospect, but at times students do not have enough information to make an informed decision. We invite you to share your own experiences about studying abroad in India.

What are the advantages of studying in India? What are the disadvantages?

Are there proper housing options for students, or do most students have to find their own accommodation?

Are living costs for students in India expensive? What is an average budget for a student per month, including rent, groceries, and social activities?

Is it easy to form a social circle in India? What are some of the preferred social activities?

Are there international student societies or community engagement programs for international students?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Student life in india is very though , especially at universities when some teachers will not be bothered explaining the main points in hindi. Life's not expensive in india personally in my point of view a budget of 34000 rs (500$) is enough. The best activity which attract foreigners in Hyderabad is the football. ...

A completely different kind of adventure!

I am studying in Himachal Pradesh University in Shimla. Not much of a student life around really, perhaps this could be because of the restrictions imposed onto girls in hostels. Yeah so I live in hostel, it is uhmmm ok, do not expect anything fancy. To be honest I had to kind of renovate my room to make it a home. I don't really eat from the hostel kitchen, but I heard from most girls that the food is no good. Taste bad and relatively less nutritious. The teaching method and the system in HPU specifically is too old as in blackboard and reading from textbook, which in my opinion is not really teaching, but you adjust and find your rhythm to make it work.

The positive! I love the weather in Shimla (not so much the Monsoon season, but the scenery makes up for it). There are over 200+ students in a nearby university from different west African students which is so exciting for me given that I am kind of the only one in my university. I have a private room in my hostel :) India is relatively very cheap place so I get to explore the country a lot more than I imagined possible. My scholarship is amazing and their team is relatively efficient.

I have recently started a series on life of African students in India if anyone is interested and would like to hear more check it out here: https://bit.ly/2QaVVYr

Student life in India is exciting, but it comes with its own challenges. However, much of it also depends on the course you pursue, the university you are enrolled in, and most importantly, the city or the state you study. Most of the universities in India have hostels for accommodating students. If you are relocating to a new place, I would highly recommend you to stay in hostels as it is a comfortable, safer, and an economical option. Usually, the hostel charges are inclusive of annual university fees. Hence, there are no separate charges. But I must tell you, during student life in India, you would face many challenges in terms of managing your expenses. When my cousin was studying at Jadhavpur University in Kolkata, he was always going through a cash crunch. It happens mainly due to high university fees and other additional leisure activities. ***

Apart from the lifestyle, there are many social events throughout the year in colleges. Such activities help you grow your network and also improve your interpersonal skills to an extent. For international students, there are community exchange programs in a few colleges. You can check out if your college provides any such programme.

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Recommend in the business directory please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct