American, Retired, looking to settle in Sofia, BG

Hello all - I just joined this group, and am following the leader in introducing myself :) I am starting the process for a long-term visa, I'm female, currently living in Hawai`i for the last 25 years. I'm staying in Sofia with friends right now, and would be interested in hearing from other expats here, especially other retirees, but certainly not limited to that group.  I'm at the beginner stage in learning Bulgarian, and speak French and Italian fairly well. I'm not looking for a job. Aloha, Ginny

Aloha Ginny,

And welcome to the forum. Since you're already in Bulgaria and learning Bulgarian then everything is o.k. and moving in the right direction.

However, it will be best if you could list your questions. In this way everyone will be able to answer directly or share experience.

:)

Kristiann

Thank you - I'm visiting right now, and will probably need to make a few more trips in the near future. I'm not sure what questions I need to ask - am starting the long term visa process - am also interested in getting to know who is in the local Sofia expat community, and of course meeting Bulgarians living here who might be kind enough to share advice. Thanks for replying!

:)  a good question is "Who drinks beer ?" or ....Where are served the best steaks?

:D just a start up idea

Thank you, Kristiann - can anyone recommend a hiking group or similar organizations in and around Sofia? Ideally, I'd like to develop a circle of friends of all backgrounds, Bulgarian, and others, not only US or British expats. I'm still at the exploratory stage, and am open to any helpful tips.

Hello Ginny,

When I first moved to Sofia I joined a club  https://iwc-sofia.org/ . It proved to be a good support group, which helped ease my integration into life here.

You are welcome to message me; I am also a retired American.

Thank you very much! I'm so new here that I haven't figured out how to send you a message, but would be very interested in your perspective as a retiree in Bulgaria

Hiking is quite popular here - especially with so many mountains around. The are many hiking groups, so you will just have to select one that suits you best. Or several.
I'll see what can be a good start in your case and will send yo a link. By the way most of these groups organize themselves via Facebook.

Thank you so much!

i have sent you a personal message.  :)

Hiking groups in PM.