Death in thailand

hi there,i am an englishman married to a thai wife living together for 12 years in pattaya. my question is what will happen to my body and bank savings when i die.
we live in property in her name, but talking recently,i was told that if i die my body will go to bangkok and be a problem for my wife to arrange a funeral and that i need to pen a letter to the british embassy.,
also i am on a marriage visa ,so what will happen to my savings that are solely in my name, will she automaticaly inherit them, or will she lose them.
if i make a will here in thailand ,stating i want her to bury my body and recieve my monies, will this suffice, also will i have to notify the bank of my wishes, in addition to making a will.
can anyone help with only the correct imformation .
thank you
paul garner

So I assume you are LEGALLY married in Thailand. Have the same situation. we made last will on writing at the lawyer. In case she dies first I get everything and vice versa. Additional we are authorized of the bank accounts of each other. In case she dies first I will get quite some land. I have to sell it in 1 year because I am not Thai.

Best way you ask your law office.

hi there
thank you for your help
i will look into it more at my law office
take care
paul

I know friendly and affordable lawyer working in Pattaya and Rayong.

Since your legally married she should have no problems but TIT.

Its my understanding that if a foreigner dies in hospital they will issue necessary paper so amphor can issue death certificate.  If you die in place other than hospital then body goes to Bangkok for autopsy I believe.  Remember unpaid bills at either place will need to be paid before they release body in most cases.

You should have a proper will drawn up to be signed and witnessed naming your wife as executor of your estate.  The remainder of the will will state your wishes concerning your body and assets in Thailand.  The assets will include bank accounts, any vehicles registered in your name and all other personal property.

She will need to have lawyer petition the court for date to clear will and they will issue court order so assets can be transferred to inheritors.  She then uses court order at bank to close your account and transfer funds to hers.   Court order would also be used at land transport office to transfer vehicles in your name to hers.

You might want to make up a list of things she should do upon your death.  It include calling embassy to notify them of your death and that she was your wife and has will naming her executor.  This should be done quickly after your death.  She could pass along any names of relatives you want notified and they will handle.  You should include anything else you think necessary to make the process for her easy.