Import my own car

Hi,
I`m a new member. I`ve just moved in Malta 2 weeks ago with my husband and our cat. :) We`ve been living in the UK in the past few years but we are Hungarian.

Could anyone kindly advice me about the registration procedure of our own car? Do we have to get through the whole process as importing any car from the EU, and provide certificates like Odometer Certificate of Authenticity, Valuation document endorsed by the Technical Unit, etc., or just fill in the 'Application for Exemption from Motor Vehicle Registration Tax' form I found on the Transport Malta webpage and provide the evidences of ownership and transferring residentship they ask here? (We own the car for more than 2 years.)
Do any of you have any experience about this?

Thank you for your help!

Hi Bee B,

I haven't imported a car myself (yet) so my comments are not authoritative, but I have done some research. If you have owned and operated the car in the EU for more than 2 years you should qualify for the exemption so the choice is yours whether you use it or go through the normal registration process. The only "gotcha" on the exclusion route is that you cannot dispose of the vehicle here at any time in any way otherwise you will owe the tax you would have paid on it if you had not been exempt. Other than that, it's really your call as to which route you take.

Check out previous threads on cars in this forum - it's been discussed quite a lot.

Tim

hammersfan wrote:

The only "gotcha" on the exclusion route is that you cannot dispose of the vehicle here at any time in any way otherwise you will owe the tax

not the only "gotcha" -  only the owner (and maybe their partner) is allowed to drive the car in Malta

Hi,

http://transport.gov.mt/Page.aspx?pageid=694&lid=1

but you have to hurry :
Where an application for exemption is upheld, the applicant shall immediately be notified by letter. Applicant shall apply for the vehicle's registration at least within seven days from the vehicle's arrival in Malta, or within seven days from receiving the letter of acceptance if the vehicle is already in Malta.

http://www.transport.gov.mt/MediaCenter … idence.pdf

good luck

Hi,

Thank you for all the information!

I went in the Transport Authority today - there was a bomb alert so everybody had to wait outside until the building had been checked.
Anyway, we have to provide the application - which Laurent 1967 sent - along with the original documentation they ask for.

After the application for exemption is upheld (hopefully) we have to get through the whole process to evaluate our car, get VRT Passed Test Certificate, Odometer Certificate of Authenticity etc., etc. and go back to the Land Transport Directorate.

As we will be out of time - no registration within 20 days of arrival - we will pay 30 Euros per day after our own car. Nice.

Cheers,
Bee

Bee B wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for all the information!

I went in the Transport Authority today - there was a bomb alert so everybody had to wait outside until the building had been checked.
Anyway, we have to provide the application - which Laurent 1967 sent - along with the original documentation they ask for.

After the application for exemption is upheld (hopefully) we have to get through the whole process to evaluate our car, get VRT Passed Test Certificate, Odometer Certificate of Authenticity etc., etc. and go back to the Land Transport Directorate.

As we will be out of time - no registration within 20 days of arrival - we will pay 30 Euros per day after our own car. Nice.

Cheers,
Bee

did you give your name ? or car's palte ?
if not : take the ferry to Sicily, and come back with a new official date of arrival.

I believe, under EU law, you are allowed to drive your car in any EU country for six months before you are obligated to register it.  Then the clock starts ticking for the fines.  The exemption committee meet approximately every 2-3 weeks to process applications, this doesn't however mean your application will be done then, it may get passed to the next meeting.  If you have submitted your application for exemption, I strongly suspect you will not get hit with the fine as the process has been started.
  You could also get your VRT done now, it is valid f0r 90 days while in the registration process so will help with delays later.

I am in the same process now so perhaps we can keep each other updated.  snigger.

good luck

"I believe, under EU law, you are allowed to drive your car in any EU country for six months before you are obligated to register it" - not if you are resident in the country.

To be honest, I'm not 100 per cent what stands and when.  I know somebody who has been dealing with this process and received their plates this week.  They have been dealing with this for 18 months.  They have been back and forth to the traffic office in this time so many times they have lost count with different requests for different paperwork, one person tells them to bring one thing and not another, then another person tells them to bring something else.  They finally completed the process but did not get the fine, we assume because they have been in the 'process' for the whole of this time!

Don't you just love red tape - grin
:D

Also, is having your ID card the same a 'residency'.  I am still confused on this issue as the answer is never the same twice.

The relevant Govt. website: http://www.transport.gov.mt/Page.aspx?pageid=574&lid=1 seems pretty clear to me, but people (of course) try and get around it all the time...maybe the risk pays off for some, maybe not for others.

For the purposes of this topic residency=ID Card. One of the bullet points on the website detailing the "temporary" exemption says:
"3. that the person does not have an identity card issued in terms of the Identity Card Act or is, under this Act, obliged to be in possession of an identity card;"

Good luck!

lucyanya wrote:

Also, is having your ID card the same a 'residency'.  I am still confused on this issue as the answer is never the same twice.

By applying for an ID card you are declaring you are resident. It says so on the application form.

Hi,

You can even give and show your ID card when applying for the 'real' ordinary residency at the Dep.of Citizenship and Immigration.  So obviously Malta has two kinds of residency , the real one with a ' Residence Documentation for a European Union National' and the residency 'light' by just declaring yourself when you go for an ID card.

This only counts for EU citizens. Third-country nationals are not issued with an ID card until they have the 'real' residence documentation as a sticker in their passport.

For some issues you are ok just with the ID card , for others you really have to apply for and get the 'real' ordinary residence but many EU's don't bother.

When I registered my car (bought in Malta) the ID card was ok and enough.When I registered my non-EU Anerican partner it was not enough and ordinary residence was the key to residence and ID cards for both of us.

And legally you are supposed to apply for the 'real' ordinary residency if you stay in Malta for more than 3 months.

In Malta you always get different answers to the same question and even different kinds of the same residency. Enjoy with a smile ...............

Cheers
Ricky

"In Malta you always get different answers to the same question and even different kinds of the same residency." - but there is only one legal answer

ID card application is you saying you consider yourself resident

resident card is them saying they agree

If you are resident, by law you have to have ID card, residency card and tax number

"but many EU's don't bother" and they could all get taken to court for breaking the law

'You could also get your VRT done now, it is valid f0r 90 days while in the registration process so will help with delays later.

I am in the same process now so perhaps we can keep each other updated.  snigger.'

Dear Lucyanya,
Where did you take your car for VRT, could you please recommend a place?
Do we need the maltese ID to take out an insurance?

Many thanks!
Bee

All VRT stations charge the same and use the same testing equipment  - just go to one convenient - assuming no queue will take 20 minutes

no MalteseID req for insurance

Thank you!

I have been hearing all kind of costs for registering a car. Does anyone have a ball park figure?

thats a classic "how long is a piece of string" - 100s of € to tens of thousands

I've PM'd you all you need

~Cheers George. lol I guess a Ferrari is a bit move expensive than a Skoda!:)

WOW :( that is expensive!