I plan to stay in Ecuador for about a week

Hola,

My name is John (Juan),

I will be making my first trip to Ecuador and would like to know what to expect when entering Customs.

I am on a pension; but do not like to carry large amounts of cash.

Initially, I plan to stay in Ecuador for about a week.  How much cash or travelers checks will I need to have on my person to prove sufficient funds to Customs?  how long will they stamp my passport for, and will I need a Visa? Also, will I need to provide proof of accommodations?  I am a member of Couch surfing and will probably be staying with their members; so I will probably 'not' be staying at a hotel.  So, what constitutes 'proof' of accommodations.  Will I have to provide Customs with a hotel reservation anyway?

I may also want to volunteer teaching English, Math, and Information technolgy.  Where are the best places to volunteer?

Gracias Juan

Hi John,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

Your topic has been introduced as a new thread on the Ecuador forum, (you were off topic in the other discussion).

I hope you get response very soon.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Hi, customs doesn't ask if you have sufficient funds or proof of accommodations. If you plan to stay a week, you don't need a visa. They stamp your passport for date of entry. You are allowed to stay up to 90 days in Ecuador as a tourist ( No visa).

Again, you don't need to show proof of accommodations. They simply ask you how many days you are planning to stay, that's all. Btw, I was told they ask those questions to foreigners from other third world countries, thinking about staying in Ecuador.

As for being a volunteer, that's great ! You should say which cities you plan on visiting and perhaps someone here might give you further details.

Good luck !

Hi Juan-----one of the nicest things about Ecuador is it is on the US dollar so that the ATM machine gives dollars. After many years of traveling with cash we made the change to ATM. I made an agreement with our bank that each transaction we would send email and only a set amount each day to avoid fraud. Customs was no problem.