58% of Ecuadorian workers don't have insurance

This is kind of shocking. But those are the numbers reported by El Comercio, an Ecuadorian newspaper.

So how does this work, when an Ecuadorian gets in an accident or sick?

Earlier this year an Ecuadorian I know was in an accident, and they said a lot of the expenses were out of pocket,

Is IESS optional for Ecuadorians?

What happens if they can't pay the bill out of pocket?

Curious...

Robin

I'll ask someone later who should know. What's also interesting about El Comercio article is the salary for Azul Blue parking attendants. One friend is under the impression that they receive the minimum salary (salario básico) or about $386. The reality is they get 50% of what they collect. This is actually much better as one guy in the article states he earns $600 a month.

Also, I think some of the workers are being cheap and don't want to pay towards IESS 17.6 percent of their salaries.

According to indexmundi
Informal employment (% of total non-agricultural employment) in Ecuador was 61.00 as of 2016. Its highest value over the past 6 years was 66.80 in 2010, while its lowest value was 57.90 in 2014.

Considering the huge part of the population in the informal economy, this statistic of high unisured rates seems reasonable.

The majority of Ecuadorians are informal workers.

As a comparison, in the USA, according to St. Louis fed, 16% of workers are full time informal economy workers.

What does this mean for government tax revenues? Family Access to banking?

I imagine most of those hit with high hospital bills never pay. What does that mean for the rest of the health care system?

Those who can't pay have to use government medical facilities and the wait time can be substantial. There are other measures for people who are stuck with bills and can't pay. This also applies to people who are in dire medical attention who missed a date or need to see a doctor ASAP.

I have been in Ecuador for about 7 years, married to a cuenca woman for 4 years, she has a son about 30 years old, about a month after our marriage, i was informed he had a bill with a hospitol for about 10,000 dollars that he could not pay, he has a wife and two kids so not any money, no job, I have been paying the monthly bill, that was financed by  the hospitol for 4 years,  many people here are in debt to the health care, they are not forgiven the debt

An63680 wrote:

I have been in Ecuador for about 7 years, married to a cuenca woman for 4 years, she has a son about 30 years old, about a month after our marriage, i was informed he had a bill with a hospitol for about 10,000 dollars that he could not pay, he has a wife and two kids so not any money, no job, I have been paying the monthly bill, that was financed by  the hospitol for 4 years,  many people here are in debt to the health care, they are not forgiven the debt

Saying you were informed of the bill does not satisfy the curiosity of readers who wonder whether you saw the bill or attempted to negotiate the bill or have it negotiated down on your behalf or the family's behalf.

Readers will also wonder whether the man's health precludes him from working to support his family.  You didn't actually say that although you said he had "no job."

They may also wonder whether you researched the bankruptcy law of Ecuador to see if he could discharge his debt and then start over .. without going into your pockets every month.  You say people are not "forgiven the debt"...  Did you take a family member's word for this or did you consult an attorney to give you the full picture?

cccmedia

Health care in Ecuador is free for those that can't afford it. There is a private system that you have to pay for. This sounds very sketchy to me. I own a restaurant. I pay taxes to cover  the health care for my employees but I asked this specific question to my account and she told me if you don't have a job your Healthcare is 100% covered.

Godofpie wrote:

Health care in Ecuador is free for those that can't afford it. There is a private system that you have to pay for. This sounds very sketchy to me.  I own a restaurant. I pay taxes to cover  the health care for my employees but I asked this specific question to my account and she told me if you don't have a job your Healthcare is 100% covered.

If by "this sounds very sketchy," you are referring to the OP's footing the bill in a country that makes health care "free for those that can't afford it," I would agree.  Sketchy.

Maybe if you married an Ecuadoriana, you might ask more than an average number of questions before agreeing to pay for an existing five-figure hospital bill.

cccmedia

Here's another question....

Now that the bank may not be financing the bill any more, what would happen financially and legally if the OP decided not to pay more per month than he already was paying?

If the bank has stopped financing and the monthly payment ballooned .. the OP should seriously consider consulting an attorney to understand the options, going forward.

cccmedia

I briefly dated a girl in Chiang Mai, Thailand, during the previous decade.

One day she told me her baby was sick in a hospital .. and asked me to pay some money for this situation.

I gave her a small amount, less than she asked for, and I asked to visit the baby in the hospital.

She phoned me a couple of times to say she was going to pay me back, but she otherwise disappeared after that .. and didn't ask me for money again.

cccmedia