Malta Citizenship for British

Hi all.

So question regarding citizenship here in Malta. If that's the right term. After living for a period of time in most European countries you can apply for citizenship. Basically I would like to get my hands on a European passport post brexit. Malta not being the best for information online I could not seem to find a great deal.

Is it a similar situation here? Think the UK is 5 years. Maybe similar in Australia.

Five years here but your chances of getting it, other than paying several hundred thousand Euros, are pretty slim!

Ray

You are allowed to apply after 5 and then they will roll around laughing a bit and say no. They sell them for 800k so don't just give them away.

Better luck in Portugal.

I thought it was a EU thing but clearly not haha.

Looks like this is a no go then :/

What nationality passport do you have? Australian?

Laz2016 wrote:

Why ask about Australia when it's not mentioned anywhere?

I believe the sum is €650,000 that you have to invest in order to get Malta citizenship.

SimCityAT wrote:

I believe the sum is €650,000 that you have to invest in order to get Malta citizenship.

650k investment
A 350k house or a 16k per year rental contracted for 5 years
150k kept in bonds or shares

GozoMo wrote:
Laz2016 wrote:

My bad as I didn't read heading properly, onset of dementia maybe, although poster did mention Australia leading me to think perhaps it's affecting both of us.

I have a friend and neighbour who is Welsh, British, has been in Gozo for 7 years and now has Maltese citizenship. He only paid a nominal sum.

Laz2016 wrote:
GozoMo wrote:
Laz2016 wrote:

My bad as I didn't read heading properly, onset of dementia maybe, although poster did mention Australia leading me to think perhaps it's affecting both of us.

I have a friend and neighbour who is Welsh, British, has been in Gozo for 7 years and now has Maltese citizenship. He only paid a nominal sum.

Your friend has probably got permanent residency as opposed to citizenship which does cost a lot of money.

GozoMo wrote:
Laz2016 wrote:
GozoMo wrote:

Your friend has probably got permanent residency as opposed to citizenship which does cost a lot of money.

Could be, I'll find out, but he does now have a Maltese passport.

If he has a Maltese passport he must have citizenship perhaps one of his parents or grandparent were Maltese, if not he would have had to pay the full amount.