Questions about MM2H

Hi All,

I am an American looking to retire in Malaysia (probably Penang) and have some questions about how MM2H works.  Would be great to get some answers :).

1)  How long does it currently take to get it approved? Does the approval time depend on which state you are applying in?

2) If I got a job in another country and but still wanted to keep the visa can I do it as long as I meet the requirements of depositing in bank account etc?

3) Is it ok to stay in Malaysia (Penang) on a visitors visa (3 month) until the MM2H visa is approved?

Any help is appreciated,

Steve

hslewis wrote:

Hi All,

1)  How long does it currently take to get it approved? Does the approval time depend on which state you are applying in?
It does not depend on State as its a centralised centre for Penninsular Malaysia applications.  Currently the processing time is 5-8 months

2) If I got a job in another country and but still wanted to keep the visa can I do it as long as I meet the requirements of depositing in bank account etc?

Yes

3) Is it ok to stay in Malaysia (Penang) on a visitors visa (3 month) until the MM2H visa is approved?

As it takes considerably longer you would need to exit at least once

Any help is appreciated,

Steve

Thanks for your help... much appreciated.

Thanks again for reply.

Do you know if there are any restrictions on working abroad in terms of hours once your visa is active?  There is apparently a restriction of 20 hrs/week for work in Malaysia. Was just wondering if I can work full time outside of Malaysia?

Thanks,
Steve

The 20 hrs in Malaysia is rarely approved by immigration and only if the work can't be done by a Malaysian. Education is about the only field ever approved.

What you do outside Malaysia is your own business. As long as you are not earning an income inside Malaysia.

Income earned outside Malaysia is OK as its offshore employment

Thanks Again Gravitas.

Do you know whats involved in starting a local business?

Steve

Take a look at the information on http://malaysiabizadvisory.com  for overview of different types of business.  There is also a LLB type. Paid up capital requirements are quite high. Labuan offshore company requires rm250, 000 to qualify for a work permit. I'm not suggesting this company as its best to use a legal or accounting firm. If the Labuan offshore company is of interest then check this website www.simplyoffshore.com  Labuan type of business now allows you to have 30% of income in Malaysian Ringgit but taxable. There are many sectors of business types not allowed to be operated by 100% foreign owned companies. Its not easy to do business in Malaysia and overheads can be quite high so due diligence is advisable