Heritage of life insurance from another (EU) country. NL Taxes ?

Hi everyone,

A simple question but hard to find an answer :

I just inherited from a French life insurance after one of my family member died.
Is this kind of income taxed in Netherlands ? How much would it be taxed ? Should I declare it ?  Where should I declare it ?

Few information :
- I've been living in Netherlands for two years.
- In France, life insurance is not taxable. (in opposition to a classical heritage)
- The money will go to my French bank account and it will stay there.
- The amount is quite small.

Thank you very much for your help,

Best regards,

Paul

Hi Paul and welcome to the Forum.

I don't know the legal position in France, but in general, you are assessed for tax where you live, not where you used to live, or where the money came from.   However, if there is a double-taxation agreement between Holland and another country, then you will not be taxed on any income assessed in the other country; so the money is paid and assessed in France (the fact that you tell us that they take nothing from you is a mute point).  However, you will be assessed in Holland for the social taxes due on the total sum.

My advice; you need to declare the income to the Belastingdienst and provide proof that it has been declared to the French tax authorities.  Be prepared to pay the social taxes in Holland.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Paul,

I looked it up and no you don't have to pay taxes, it's only taxable if the deceased lived in the Netherlands. So inform "de belastingdienst" of your inheritence and you are done :)

Hi,

Thanks to both of your quick replies,

Ramses, can you tell me where you found this ? I've been struggling for days I'm really curious to see where it was !

Thanks a lot !

Hi polm,

I found it on the  "belastingdienst" website it is in Dutch: look here
It states the same thing as I told you in the previous post.

Perfect,

Thanks a lot for your help !