Thinking to Retire in Romania

Hello after 30 Years in Canada we are thinking to move to the native Country of my Husband, Rumania for our Retirement. We would like to move more to the Severin area close to the Donau. Any recommendation is greatly appreciated. Curious what you think about this,
thank you
Heidi and Bono

I recommend Timisoreana.

Hello Heidi,
it depends alot on your lifestyle, what you like to do  and what you are looking for when retired.
There are areas in Romania that are closer to nature, or closer to social events, airports for weekend getaways.
Also on the real estate where you want to invest.If you want to rent or buy something. If it's a house or flat. If you like mountain or sea,etc.
I am generally working with foreign investors in Romania area, but occasionally I have helped them with relocation.
So if you will ever need support or an advice, I am happy to help.

A.

Hello, I was looking around on this forum and found your story very interesting as we are now in the same dilema as you were then. We are anglo - romanian family, and after 30 years in the uk, are looking for retirement place.
We are thorn between Romania and Spain
If you don't mind sharing with us what was the outcome of your journey?
Did you go ahead with your plans for Romania ?

Regard
Amona

First, you can't just show up and say "I'm here! Where is my residency permit?" I found out the hard way. 😂
You must have a documented reason to be here. You say you gave up your citizenship. If it was taken during communist times there is a path to reclaim it. Then it's easy to simply move back. If you were adopted I'm not sure,but there may be a way.
My tactic was getting a Volunteer Contract. I had friends that helped me get a gig as a English language tutor. What skills do you have that some organisation might use? Can you live on your pension alone?
There are strategies of opening some business, but I didn't want to deal with legalities and paperwork and accountants and lawyers and endless forms and bureaucracy.
I have other thoughts. Contact me.

Not sure what are you on about? I was refering to the people that started the topic in the first place. I am not asking for any jobs or rights to stay. It is all about how you feel about the country, standard of living and level of civilisation. When you are you used to certain standards, you want to keep that.
The thought to be ill and have to bribe someone in the healthcare to help me it is rather concerning. We never had to do so !
At our age the priorities are different. We have a legal right to move to Romania if we choose to.
Not sure if the country meets our expectations.

runaway wrote:

Not sure what are you on about? I was refering to the people that started the topic in the first place. I am not asking for any jobs or rights to stay. It is all about how you feel about the country, standard of living and level of civilization. When you are you used to certain standards, you want to keep that.
The thought to be ill and have to bribe someone in the healthcare to help me it is rather concerning. We never had to do so !
At our age the priorities are different. We have a legal right to move to Romania if we choose to.
Not sure if the country meets our expectations.

The UK obviously has a higher standard of living.  If you don't want to make sacrifices in that regard, Romania probably isn't for you.  Yes, bribing medical "professionals" is a reality, less so in private clinics/hospitals, but even then, the quality of healthcare in Romania is well below western countries.

I know Romania is appealing in the sense of the cost of living is much less, but there's the saying, "you get what you pay for".

Being retired, I was saving a lot of money living in Romania, but I was not happy there at all.  Personally, I chose to have a happier life with a smaller bank balance.  I left Romania almost 4 years ago now and don't miss life there one bit.

La mulți ani. 🍾🥂

I answered the way I did because I assumed you were looking for how to achieve a move. If you have the right to move here without paperwork I applaud you. I didn't and had to jump through assorted hoops. Generic questions are easy to answer. Everything else is very specific and personal and individual.
I was lucky to fall into an affordable, updated modern first floor apartment
The weather is pleasant without extremes so far. I am a rather introverted with no great need/desire to seek out compatriots, so being the only American in my small city and one of the few in my county is not a problem. I don't have homesickness as such, though I do sometimes miss the shopping convenience of Walmart. I am accustomed to the overall general rhythm of commercial activity in America which is often quite different here. You adjust. My nitpick list exists, but I don't dwell on it.
I have had no major health issues, but what has arisen has been dealt with without bribery. I get the feeling that my private insurance is enough, though their re-imbursement system is a pain. I think the briberies happen with the locals. It's the availability of services and overall quality that may suffer.
The virus has been a spanner in the works for all the world so many of my thoughts would apply universally.
Cupid has not dealt with me favorably, but that an entirely different book to be written at a different time.
Am I satisfied with my move? Yes. In hindsight would I tweak a few things? Of course. Would I do it again? Yes.

Happy New Year Johnny and thank you for you reply. You are mentioning the private insurance for health. Just wondering if you don't mind sharing how much is the cost for it. Not trying to be indiscrete, just trying to make a realistic picture of various cost .
Thank you  ;)

It's a couple hundred bucks a month. Rates may vary with company and personal stats. The only problem I have is they are on a re-imbursement  system, where you pay out of pocket and must apply for payment.

Thank you for your info. With regards to late reinbursment we had the same problem  in France 10 years ago. I guess this will be the case everywhere . UK for me is the best in the world for health care.
Everywhere you go will always be a compromise. As we are looking to have a slower lifestyle, or maybe run away from the rat race, will have to find the best compromise  :)