Finding your bearings in the United Arab Emirates

Hello,

While technology has definitely helped us navigate ourselves more easily in most countries, it's not the case everywhere.

How do you get to your destinations and navigate yourself in the United Arab Emirates? Do you use gps systems such as google/apple maps?

Are the gps navigational systems updated enough that they provide accurate information and directions?

Is it enough to simply follow road signs in the United Arab Emirates?

Is talking to locals and asking them directions the best way to get around? Are they generally friendly and helpful?

Are there any online resources or other types of resources to help you better understand the road systems, transportation, etc., in order to find your bearings?

What are the steps to take if you get lost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi there..

GPS helps if your driving around the city, its fairly accurate. To know the various points of interest there are public kiosks and info desk readily available to guide.

Arrange for data sim from the airport will be of much use during your stay. Cheers !!

Gps navigation systems are the best, I personally use Google maps to get around in UAE.

GPS navigation system is the best source to reach at your destination, even if you are traveling to an unknown place. furthermore now a days there are many GPS navigation systems applications aside of google map which allow you to navigate offline also, so you don't have to worry about data packages or etc... personally i am using one application named "here" which is easily available at android and IOS play stores, all you need to do is to just install the app in your mobile and update / download the map of your respective country (you can download more than one (multi-countries)) after that your can switch the app to offline and it works perfectly.

further to above as part of your question about locals, yes most of them are cooperative and helping even the cops are very cooperative as long as i have had experience with them, several times i have asked the help by coops when i was lost in the way and they drove me to the exactly the track i need.

i hope above information and my personal experience will be helpful for all of you, if still anything you want to know please fell free to get in touch.

have a grate day to all of you..  :)