Finding your bearings in Saudi Arabia

Hello,

While technology has definitely helped us navigate ourselves more easily in most countries, it's not the case everywhere.

How do you get to your destinations and navigate yourself in Saudi Arabia? Do you use gps systems such as google/apple maps?

Are the gps navigational systems updated enough that they provide accurate information and directions?

Is it enough to simply follow road signs in Saudi Arabia?

Is talking to locals and asking them directions the best way to get around? Are they generally friendly and helpful?

Are there any online resources or other types of resources to help you better understand the road systems, transportation, etc., in order to find your bearings?

What are the steps to take if you get lost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Comeon KSA has changed a lot now a days.

When i was new Here

i travel Some place in Dammam with GPS & I PArked My Manager car in paid parking and forget to stick a token. my car was taken by moroor(X Security) guys when i came back i found the space empty.

i was worried that it was theft or this guys really towed my car.

there was a saudi guy He was visiting ATM i told him the story.

He took me to the Garage of security and talked that guys in arabic.

and explained he helped me alot.

And women are Actually being respected as per islamic country.

People here are always ready for Helping and frank minded now a days.

Even 1 Week ago I got lift from a saudi women, as my car was down in the middle of the road.

She helped me to drop back my office, even when i can find TAXI service. :)

Dear Priscilla,

About searching or visiting here in Saudi Arabia or any country i am using the GPS. its a new technology really amazing before 5 year ago if any body lost his way its very difficult for sear a place.

Now i am very happy about new GPS system.

Hi,

Ts easier to navigate using GPS, The maps are updated .

Lets say you are lost,  you are going to find an expat everywhere who is gonna help, never the less the Saudi citizens also will help, however if you dont know arabic, ts gonna be a bit difficult

I use GPS apps on my iPhones for sure, but my favorite ones are:

Google Maps and I upload the map for the country offline in case I have no data connection.
Here We Go  App (by Nokia) for iPhone, which also allows you to download whole country map for offline use.
Waze: has great collaborative features.

As for seeking help, locals were always very helpful and polite. Many people go out of their way to help you if you motion for help. At the same time, you will see some crazy drag racing and reckless driving. It is just to fathom how could these nice people act so nice as long as they are away from steering wheel :(

Hi Pricilla,
Yes, I have extensive experiences in Riyadh to share. I've spent time in 3 different time periods of Riyadh 82-89; 98-2007, 2015-17. Riyadh is quite different in each and there are valuable perspectives from each time period.

Is there a chance to write a guide, or book about these times and not only benefit people living there by share experiences that expat's can relate to as well as sell it and make some money💰.

Best regards,

Dale

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your contribution to this thread.

@ Dale >

Feel free to share your experience freely with us on the forum please.

ddRT1 wrote:

Is there a chance to write a guide, or book about these times and not only benefit people living there by share experiences that expat's can relate to as well as sell it and make some money💰.

I shall contact you in private and help you to get in touch with the editorial department.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Well getting around is so difficult if you don't have a navigation. local are not that friendly. So most of us avoid outings. Aspecily alone. There are less entertainmant or no I must say. We avoid outings to avoid borblems that could happen. It's so restricted. Any way it's much better than before though.
Shane.

Such great stories about getting help from locals!