Finding your bearings in Puerto Rico

Hello,

While technology has definitely helped us navigate ourselves more easily in most countries, it's not the case everywhere.

How do you get to your destinations and navigate yourself in Puerto Rico? Do you use gps systems such as google/apple maps?

Are the gps navigational systems updated enough that they provide accurate information and directions?

Is it enough to simply follow road signs in Puerto Rico?

Is talking to locals and asking them directions the best way to get around? Are they generally friendly and helpful?

Are there any online resources or other types of resources to help you better understand the road systems, transportation, etc., in order to find your bearings?

What are the steps to take if you get lost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Dear Priscilla,
I use Waze which is not always accurate. or I use my compus on my phone. I have lived part time on the island since 2005. When I first was learning to get around I generally would stop and ask locals for directions. I have never had a bad experience though my Spanish is more like Spanglish but if you try and speak Spanish the locals will try and speak English. And Puerto Rican's will say, “my English is not very good” and say I wish my Spanish was as good as your English.  I always make sure I have a full tank of gas when I go exploring someplace  new and I think of meeting others as an adventure. However I generally do not travel late at nigjt.
I hope this Info was helpful. All my best.
Jacque Marling de Cuêllar

We use a Magellan dashboard GPS we bought at Costco, and it has served us well.

Smart phone w AT&T works very well all over the island. Apple and G maps are fine wherever we go.   :cool:

It is difficult to get around with a paper map unless you are sticking entirely to main routes.  Google maps app is pretty good, much better than a Garmin,  except in mountainous areas where there is no data.  In the mountains, it is better to have satellite.  For cell, it is better to have a service that is sold in Puerto Rico.  At Sitka mentioned, ATT has great coverage.  If you have Verizon, expect problems with data.  We switched to ATT prior to buying our house because the coverage is so much better.

As far as getting around, do the same things you would in the States.  Stay out of bad areas in cities.  If you have questions, ask your hotel.  Locals generally are very kind and helpful.  Many people, especially the younger people, speak English.

Also, check out http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/   They have some great suggestions and provide GPS coordinates for many places.

Hope this helps.