Finding your bearings in Oman

Hello,

While technology has definitely helped us navigate ourselves more easily in most countries, it's not the case everywhere.

How do you get to your destinations and navigate yourself in Oman? Do you use gps systems such as google/apple maps?

Are the gps navigational systems updated enough that they provide accurate information and directions?

Is it enough to simply follow road signs in Oman?

Is talking to locals and asking them directions the best way to get around? Are they generally friendly and helpful?

Are there any online resources or other types of resources to help you better understand the road systems, transportation, etc., in order to find your bearings?

What are the steps to take if you get lost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I generally use this app Herewego . It works both online and offline. It's wonderful mentions the speed limit , traffic cameras and also the distance . I found it very easy to navigate. Locals do help but language is big constraint . Significant landmarks do help to reach the destination.

Most of GPS Navigational systems works perfectly in oman i.e. Google Maps & Waze.
These are also updated frequently. There are plenty of road sign also on the major roads. However it is better for a new comer to have a good idea about major cities of Oman and Major road linking these, as these all are on the coastline of oman sea. Not most of oman is populated leaving few major cities and their interconnecting towns and cities.

Locals are also very helpful and kind enough to guide. So not a major issue if one is lost since the crime rate even to remote parts of oman is to absolutely minimal or rare.