Finding your bearings in France

Hello,

While technology has definitely helped us navigate ourselves more easily in most countries, it's not the case everywhere.

How do you get to your destinations and navigate yourself in France? Do you use gps systems such as google/apple maps?

Are the gps navigational systems updated enough that they provide accurate information and directions?

Is it enough to simply follow road signs in France?

Is talking to locals and asking them directions the best way to get around? Are they generally friendly and helpful?

Are there any online resources or other types of resources to help you better understand the road systems, transportation, etc., in order to find your bearings?

What are the steps to take if you get lost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I use Moovit for everything.

It's especially good for public transport and will find you the best route and guide you through it, step by step.

My navigation depends on my fitted car GPS which was updated 4 years ago.
There have been quite a few road network changes and one-way systems introduced in that time, so I sometimes see on the screen that I am driving through fields which have now become a motorway and meeting roundabouts, (of which the French are particularly fond) where there was none last time I travelled the route, or frustratingly told to turn left in Bordeaux where there is now a no entry sign. Nevertheless, I am reluctant to cough up another £150 for a new disc.
A more serious difficulty is when I key in the name of a place and the pop up gives me a number of different places with the same name. I am distrustful of so-called intuitive software that can't be over-ridden. This alone can cause travellers to head for the opposite end of the country where there is another village of the same name. Ask a local? They are all indoors when you want them or "Je ne suis pas d'ici". Maybe I should use my mobile phone more. Google maps seems reasonably good but probably not a good idea in the car. I'm interested to hear your experiences.

I like Google Maps because I can see the route, as opposed to GPS systems that only tell you what to do next.

But Google Maps recently landed us twice in the back of beyond - once in town and the other time in the mountains - in two days.

We now use it with great caution.

I like think google maps works well also.