Finding your bearings in Bulgaria

Hello,

While technology has definitely helped us navigate ourselves more easily in most countries, it's not the case everywhere.

How do you get to your destinations and navigate yourself in Bulgaria? Do you use gps systems such as google/apple maps?

Are the gps navigational systems updated enough that they provide accurate information and directions?

Is it enough to simply follow road signs in Bulgaria?

Is talking to locals and asking them directions the best way to get around? Are they generally friendly and helpful?

Are there any online resources or other types of resources to help you better understand the road systems, transportation, etc., in order to find your bearings?

What are the steps to take if you get lost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I prefer to have the best GPS available and perform regular map updates. If you do it on the cheap like most expats i have come accross you will regret it. Open your wallet and stop pleading poverty.

Depends where you are.  GPS doesn't always cut it here, even in Sofia.

Get a couple of landmarks, and ask people where to go in relation to those.

Get the best GPS, not the cheapest. I use top of the range garmin and have never had any issues in Bulgaria.

Even with a good one, I periodically run into problems when I don't have an exact address, which is pretty common.  When I have the address, it works well.

True, but If i dont have the full address I wont go.

You're a actually the smart one.

Unfortunately, a lot of things I do is through "gosho who is about 500 meters past this one statue" or something along those lines.

Google maps works pretty well in Varna.  We have a taxi app so I use taxis to get around, especially if it is the first time (unknown place for me). 

Busses are regular too. 

Centre has a no parking / blue zone, so easier to just walk around or to get there by taxi or bus.

The blue zone is the first nail in the coffin, this might be followed by a daily congestion tax. The is the end of shopping in Varna.

Google maps works pretty well all over Bulgaria, with decent navigation. I've only had problems in very remote areas, but that was around 5 years ago. Now, most areas have decent 3g or 4g coverage for navigation purposes.

Hi there, I have an app on my phone for a couple of years now and it is brilliant, it's called "what3words" It has divided the whole world up into 1 or 2-meter squares, so even if you live in a mud hut in the middle of Africa you can find it with this App.