Carta di Identita

Hi! Im married to an Italian National, i process my Permesso di Soggiorno 8 months ago and still waiting for the Questura to release it, i already registred in the Kumon for the residency in my town and received my Carta di Identita. My question is can i travel to other EU countries with my passport, CARTA DI IDENTITA and only RECEIPT of my permesso?

because the usual case is you will receive first you permesso di soggiorno before you can apply for the carta di identita, then you are free to travel .But my case is the other way around, i got first my Carta di Identita then still waiting for my permesso.

Thank you!

If you have an carta d' indentita' you can theoretically travel around Europe, but it is still good to ask anyway in the questura.

Did you marry here in Italy or abroad? It actually changes a lot. If you got married in Italy you should have no problems at all because the marriage is registered here and you should be able to push the questura to release your "Carta di Soggiorno per motivi familiari". If you married abroad and moved here then you need to get it registered here to have Italy accept it. That is done through the Italian consolate in the place where you married. My wife and I did that before she moved to Italy. It took all of 6 months having all the documents in order. Once that was done I got her documents and birth certificate translated officially and the Carta di soggiorno was issued the same day. I think the whole process was finished 2 weeks after she moved here. The problem in travelling is not the getting out as much as the getting back in. The carta di identità is not a travel document for anyone who is not an Italian citizen so entering back into Italy you might be asked to prove that you have the right. You have the right but not the papers. The situation for those who have a PDS that depends on a job is different. When it's being renewed they need to get a permission to leave from the questura and can only visit their home country via direct flight. I'd try to get the papers sorted before leaving

Hi,
We just traveled to Dubrovnik in Croatia by car and had to cross through both Slovenia and Bosnia and had no trouble at the border posts just showing our Carta d' Identita.

I find even at the airport coming into Italy that the immigration officials just glance at our Carta d' Identita and stamp our passports, paying very little attention to our Permesso di Soggiorno.

In any case when traveling in the EU you do not have to show anything at most of the internal borders, it is all open still, until they escalate the in-fighting over immigration and try to control that at the borders!

Nico

Hi there Dave! thank you for your reply, nop i didnt got married in ITALY, we got married in Denmark and we already registered our Marriage in Italy last month. What i submitted to the Questura last February was the yellow kit and our original marriage certificate plus translated marriage certificate, passport copy, done my biometrics after a month and just holding a receipt and until now waiting for the Questura to release it. I tried to follow up last July and they said that my PDS is not yet ready, im impressed when you wrote that you got the Carta di Soggiorno the same day when you submitted all the documents. (but when did you process this? years back or recently?) ,
Yes i also found out that Carta d'Identita is really not a valid travel document for foreigners, only italians can use it, as it was written in my Carta d'Identita that Non Valida Per L'Espatrio. So i think i should need to wait for the release of my PDS if they havent release that by next month then i guess i will make my move to the Questura to do a follow up as we are already planning for a Christmas and New Year Holiday, and it's a hassle that without the PDS we cant finalized the future trip.

dave71Italy wrote:

Did you marry here in Italy or abroad? It actually changes a lot. If you got married in Italy you should have no problems at all because the marriage is registered here and you should be able to push the questura to release your "Carta di Soggiorno per motivi familiari". If you married abroad and moved here then you need to get it registered here to have Italy accept it. That is done through the Italian consolate in the place where you married. My wife and I did that before she moved to Italy. It took all of 6 months having all the documents in order. Once that was done I got her documents and birth certificate translated officially and the Carta di soggiorno was issued the same day. I think the whole process was finished 2 weeks after she moved here. The problem in travelling is not the getting out as much as the getting back in. The carta di identità is not a travel document for anyone who is not an Italian citizen so entering back into Italy you might be asked to prove that you have the right. You have the right but not the papers. The situation for those who have a PDS that depends on a job is different. When it's being renewed they need to get a permission to leave from the questura and can only visit their home country via direct flight. I'd try to get the papers sorted before leaving

Hi Nico! Maybe its not so strict if you travel by car thats why the control did'nt really pay attention for your PDS.  But you have your PDS in case the control ask for it? But in my case we're planning to travel to Norway and Denmark and must take a flight to go there, im afraid that it will give us trouble thats why i dont want to risk.

Nicovanderm wrote:

Hi,
We just traveled to Dubrovnik in Croatia by car and had to cross through both Slovenia and Bosnia and had no trouble at the border posts just showing our Carta d' Identita.

I find even at the airport coming into Italy that the immigration officials just glance at our Carta d' Identita and stamp our passports, paying very little attention to our Permesso di Soggiorno.

In any case when traveling in the EU you do not have to show anything at most of the internal borders, it is all open still, until they escalate the in-fighting over immigration and try to control that at the borders!

Nico