Is 18000 RMB to live in Shanghai for a family of 2

Hi everyone

recently I have received a proposal from a company in Shanghai with 18000 RMB salary before tax. I wonder if this is enough for living for a fimily of 2. I read a lot in different websites and forums but I am still confused about the quality of living with this salary.

any help is appreciated
regards

Depend on the pursuit of what quality of life you expect. here this the cost list for your reference.
1, 3,500 to 4,000 RMB Rent for 1 Bedroom with 1 hall  which is 15 to 20 kilometers aways to the city center
2, 3,000 to 4,000 RMB The food for a family of 2 , purchase from supermarket like Carrefour and cooking by Urself
3, Incidentals like bills, haircut, will cost another  2,000 to 3,000
4, Transportation will cost 500 to 700  per person metro taxi
5, The rest of the money for entertainment, restaurant, travel and shopping after saving plan.

Thanks for your answer
we speak english and we don't have any idea if it is easy to live in any area with chinese local people. Do they understand english or do you suggest to rent an apartment in expat neighborhoods?

You can live on it. However your will not be able to live an expat lifestyle. You will be able to live a middle-class Chinese lifestyle. Consider the offer carefully. I could live on it, but I have been here in China for 15 years. Someone who is coming to SH after spending their life in Chicago would have a real problem.

18000RMB is likely salary for guys with 5 years experience after college or university.

just for your reference.

best wishes

Rike

18000RMB is enough but may be only at a just fine level of living standard. The biggest expense of living in SH is the accommodation.

Good golly. It's enough. For petes' sake. If you cannot life off of 18K RMB then you are a failure as a woman and a family member.

18000 before tax for expat life in Shanghai was a ten years ago standard, but for live like a normal Chinese is enough.