Cost of living in Ethiopia

Hi,
I am an Indian and got an opportunity to work in Ethiopia. The company is providing food and accommodation. I am into research and development. I wanted to know how much salary should I ask for to stay with my family in Ethiopia. What is the cost of living? Can anyone help me out?

LIFE IN ETHIOPIA IS CHEAP AND EASY. SO IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN, HERE IS INDIAN SCHOOL SO FOR SCHOOL,TRANSPORATION AND YOUR DEPOSITE MAY BE $1000
FOR MORE INFORMATION EMAIL ME [email protected]
sol

Hello sol,

Could you avoid posting in lower caps please. It is considered as impolite as per forum Netiquette.

Thanks for your kind comprehension.

Hello amitnandgaonkar and Godiva

Let me try to give you some indicative costs of living in Addis Ababa, the capital

- Two bed room apartmet, good location, $500 a month
- Studio, good location, $250 a month
- Food costs, cooking at home, $250 a month, per person
- Food costs, dining out, $400 per month per person
- Public transport, $70 a month
- Personal vehicle, fuel cost, $230 a month

(Average current exchange rate of USD 1 to ETB 17 is used to calculate the costs in USD ($))

Hope this gives some indication. Let me know if u need additional info.

Hello Suave:

Thank you so much for the quick response! Since I would be new to the city, what are some neighborhoods/areas you would recommend?

THANKS!!

Hello Godiva,

The area preferred by expats and the international community in Addis Ababa is known as Bole. It is close to the airport. Of course the airport itself is called Bole International Airport. Neighborhoods known as "Old airport", "Ayat" and "CMC" are also residential quarters for the emerging higher-middle class and "the economic elite" and also preferred by expats. However, these are farther to the city center. Bole houses are more expensive than latter. If you would have private vehicle or company car, the latter may be a good option, especially cost wise.

The usual approach is to contact local brokers- informal but easy to find. They usually are found wandering around their specific areas. And if you try to arrange that with your connections in Addis (like employees working in the company that you are going to work with) before your arrival this would give you some time, meaning more chance to have better options. Or you might have to stay at a hotel or guest house for some time-say a week or two- to visit the places with the brokers. Also, brokers and home owners tend to increase prices for foreigners as they are generally considered richer. So it is better to do the house searching through or with a local connection.   

Do not hesitate to ask if you have any issues as it is always good to be forearmed.

suave wrote:

Hello Godiva,

The area preferred by expats and the international community in Addis Ababa is known as Bole. It is close to the airport. Of course the airport itself is called Bole International Airport. Neighborhoods known as "Old airport", "Ayat" and "CMC" are also residential quarters for the emerging higher-middle class and "the economic elite" and also preferred by expats. However, these are farther to the city center. Bole houses are more expensive than latter. If you would have private vehicle or company car, the latter may be a good option, especially cost wise.

The usual approach is to contact local brokers- informal but easy to find. They usually are found wandering around their specific areas. And if you try to arrange that with your connections in Addis (like employees working in the company that you are going to work with) before your arrival this would give you some time, meaning more chance to have better options. Or you might have to stay at a hotel or guest house for some time-say a week or two- to visit the places with the brokers. Also, brokers and home owners tend to increase prices for foreigners as they are generally considered richer. So it is better to do the house searching through or with a local connection.   

Do not hesitate to ask if you have any issues as it is always good to be forearmed.

Thanks so much! You really clarified so many things for me and put me at ease.

Hi amitnandgaonkar,

I think living in Addis is not too cheap specially when it is noticed that you are a foreigner, prices are double / triple or even more for everything like taxis, clothes from the shops around in the streets, etc. Even when you look for imported products they are relatively expensive compared to other countries.

Regarding Houses; I tried hardly to find good houses in Bole but they are very expensive and houses sometimes aren't in acceptable conditions or at good standards. To find an acceptable House in Bole (3 bedrooms), it is around $ 2,000 -  $ 3,000 or above.
So may be you can try to find in other areas as Bole is relatively expensive (You have to be a bit patient as it won't be very fast and easy).

Regarding a temporary hotel / residency; a 5 stars hotel might cost around $ 300 i.e. Hilton

There is a good Serviced appartment called (Diplomat Services appartment) which cost around $ 144 per night for one bedroom and around $200 per night for 2bedrooms. I believe also they have long term lease contracts.

Hope this helps.

you can get with $25 for double bed at ras hotel or ras amba hotel and with $65 at ethiopian hotel

Hi I have got a opportunity to work in Addis Ababa and my company will be providing me Housing, Schooling for my kids( 14 and 11, vehicle with driver and fuel, medical cover.

I have to spend only for foods, Internet, clothing and any other entertaining expenses once in a month.

can anybody give me a clue of estimated cost for the above I asked for me to negotiate the allowances. there are only 04 members in my family.

Hi Yasantha, just to give you an idea:

Internet
- you can pay less than 1 US cents (20 cents Ethiopian) per minute at Internet cafes, OR you can buy a EVDO wireless internet connection from Ethiopian Telecommunication (to use at home), starting from a one-time fee 1500 Birr (~85 dollar), and you can add time cards of varying denominations (starting from 5 Birr/30 US cents) based on your consumption. 5 birr will give you roughly 1hr of surfing.

Food
Check out everythingaddis.com/price-of-goods-addis/ to get some idea on food items

Clothing
You can get quite a variety of brands from Chinese to European based on your budget.

Hope this helps.
Abby