Rent a flat in Sofia

Hello locals,

I am going for work to Sofia soon and seeking for an affordable appartment.

First I used google and found some good looking appartments on English-speaking websites. They looks like nice, but were overprisied. I would be comfortable with a nice-shared budget flat outside from the city center.

So, I used some Bulgarian sources like alo.bg and found some interesting appartments for 400 Leva per month. They  looks like OK, most of them are furnished and well-connected.

An Bulgarian lawyer wrote, that foreigners have to make sure that the property is really their own. Otherwise it´s possible that locals can cheat them. But I only read warning stories about buying a property and not renting an appartment.

Do somebody know, if it´s necessary, that I have to hire a lawyer to clarify the ownership?

How much is the deposit for an appartment, which costs 400 leva per month?

And how trustworthy is the website "alo.bg"?

alo.bg is similar to any other website where people can put up ads. I tend to use olx.bg over alo, but that's just because it's a bit more popular. I've never been scammed using olx, bazar, or alo. Both agencies and individuals tend to use these sites.

In Bulgaria for renting it is usually first/last occasionally with a 1 month deposit in addition to that (so three months max), although some only ask first and a month of deposit. Most contracts are for a year, and then automatically switch to monthly (where you can move out with a 1-month notice). If you are renting through an agency, you will generally pay the agency 1/2 month's rent. (So, for a 400 lev apartment you would generally pay 200 to the agency (non-refundable) first month, a 1-month deposit, and maybe last-month. So between 1000 bgn-1400 to move in).

For renting you should not need a lawyer to check for ownership rights, but you should have the contract notarized, and both you and the owner should keep a copy. Not sure for EU people, but as a non-EU, to get my residence card while renting, I needed the owner to go into the local residency office and show proof of ownership and fill out a form stating that I was living there.

Also worth noting- it is generally difficult to get your deposit back in Bulgaria. If an agency is handling your rent, it can be a little easier, but if you are renting directly through an individual, I would count the deposit as lost and if you get it back, it's a nice little bonus when you move out.

kojidae wrote:

In Bulgaria for renting it is usually first/last occasionally with a 1 month deposit in addition to that (so three months max), although some only ask first and a month of deposit.

Can you more explain that, please?

I understand that the landlord can choose, if he wants a deposit of one, two or three months. That could be horrible, when I probably don´t get back!

There is no legal standard, so it is perfectly normal to either ask:

1) First month (covers your first month) Last month (covers your last month, so when you say you're moving out, you don't pay that final month) and 1 month deposit. In this case, if you don't get your deposit back, you will lose one month's rent. The other two months go to pay your actual rent (your first month living in the apartment and your last month).

2) First month (covers your first month) and a 1 month deposit. Again, with this if you don't get your deposit back, you lose one month rent. It's just that you pay your final month rent when you say you are moving out. (Understandably some landlords don't prefer this because some people move out with little/no notice and don't pay their last month of rent).

Some will try to ask for first month and two months deposit, usually because they have a newer apartment or furniture. To be honest, I run from those. In this case you risk losing two months of rent.

kojidae wrote:

1) First month (covers your first month) Last month (covers your last month, so when you say you're moving out, you don't pay that final month) and 1 month deposit. In this case, if you don't get your deposit back, you will lose one month's rent. The other two months go to pay your actual rent (your first month living in the apartment and your last month).

In this case I have to pay for the first month:

400 Leva rent + 400 leva deposit + 200 leva for the agency by the website for move in + 400 leva for the last month? That means = 1400 Leva and I lose only the deposit by 400 leva?

2) First month (covers your first month) and a 1 month deposit. Again, with this if you don't get your deposit back, you lose one month rent. It's just that you pay your final month rent when you say you are moving out. (Understandably some landlords don't prefer this because some people move out with little/no notice and don't pay their last month of rent).

400 Leva rent + 400 leva deposit + 200 leva for the agency by the website for move in?

In both cases, if you are working with an agency, the 200 fee (half a rent) goes to the agency. You do not get it back, it is their fee for finding/listing the property. It is a standard fee that you will almost always pay unless you are dealing directly with an owner.

And, you do not ALWAYS lose your deposit. Just, in my experience most landlords are crap about giving it back. So, you may not lose your deposit either. I've rented four apartments so far (two in Varna, two in Gabrovo) and gotten one deposit back. (Of course I'm still in one, so maybe I'll get that deposit back, too).

So, working from 400 month rent.

Move in fee: 1400 (400 for first month, 400 for last month, 400 for deposit, 200 for agency fee).

You will not pay rent until the second month (because you paid first month)
You will not pay rent on the last month, after you give your notice (because you've already paid it)
Once you move out, if the apartment is in good condition, your landlord MAY return the deposit.

You only DEFINITELY lose the 200 to the agency. With a POSSIBILITY of losing the 400 deposit.

However, some will ask two month deposit instead of first last. In this case, you will pay the last month rent, and risk losing 800 as your deposit. Again, not always.

Hi, just piping in because I work sales in real estate, specializing in Sofia, and I get a lot of private messages regarding the rental market.
The decent 400 leva a month apartments ads are a scam, no such thing exists in the open market currently. 600 leva will get you a studio/small one bedder in the outter suburbs, if you're lucky.
Do yourself a favour and avoid the bazar, olx and alo sites when looking for a place to rent. Its 90% scams on those sites.
If you want a nice apartment your best bet is imot.bg and going through an agency. Market rate, one month deposit and half a month fee for the agency. Dont sign anything you dont understand, even the big agencies can take your money and screw you.
Alternatively if you want something cheaper, look at the facebook groups about rentals in Sofia from owners or people looking for roommates. Most of them are about rooms rather than whole apartments however.
Let me know if I can be of further help.

Stephen_T wrote:

If you want a nice apartment your best bet is imot.bg and going through an agency.

Do I have only to pay for the agency if they have succesful arranged a flat for me or do I have to pay something when I want a flat inspection/visit and afterwards not more interested into rent the flat?

Stephen_T wrote:

Hi, just piping in because I work sales in real estate, specializing in Sofia, and I get a lot of private messages regarding the rental market.
The decent 400 leva a month apartments ads are a scam, no such thing exists in the open market currently. 600 leva will get you a studio/small one bedder in the outter suburbs, if you're lucky.

Look at this offer:

https://www.imot.bg/pcgi/imot.cgi?act=5 … 7&f1=2

It looks like great and some of these flats I have found on the other websites. So.. is this flat a scam. because looks like really good and is cheap?

Thats real, the agency (aldes) is one of the bigger ones, all their ads are real. Other big agencies are yavlena, address, primo plus, mirela.. im not saying theyre good, just saying their ads are real. The reason its "only" 450 leva is threefold- its on the ground/parter floor (very undesirable because its so easy to break in), its a tiny studio (what you see of the pics, the sofa folds out, theres no bedroom), and its in liulin 6, which is a pretty bad suburb. Out of all the liulins 9 and 10 are the ones considered somewhat civilized, I wouldnt recommend living there as an expat though.
To answer your other question, you only pay commission after you sign the rental contract. Anyone asking for any money before then (even two levs for a viewing) is a scammer.

HI,

I am English but married to a Bulgarian for 25 years.  We recently had to put my mother-in-law into a nursing home.  We have an appartment in Sofia (Krasna Poliana) which we would like to rent out to someone that we trust.  If  you are interested, perhaps you could reply!??
:)

HI,

Did you say that you deal in property in Sofia?