Starting to work in Saudi without Iqama and Employment Contract

Hello. If I were to start working in Saudi with no Iqama and Employment Contract is yet to be processed and signed, am I obliged to report to work or is the employer violating any Saudi Labor law?

Is the employer required to give me an Iqama before getting started to work?

Can you cite any law specific to my concern?

Your feedbacks are appreciated.

Thanks! ;)

Specific law?   just read the labor law :)

And yes, they need to give you an Iqama before you can legally start work.  However, with those taking time to process, it is common practice for employers to have the workers start before, if they are in the Kingdom or through visit visas.  This is not legal but common practice and you will be in trouble if caught.  The alternative is to wait for Iqama and not get paid while waiting - difficult for people who have resigned from previous jobs.

Thanks! 😉

@XTangI am working in a company for nearly 3 weeks. Is it necessary to give my transfer to my current company as i am on free visa? My iqama will be expired on oct 2024 but i have signed the contract of 1 year. I don't understand they will take my transfer or not?

Simply it is illegal to work for anyone without being on their sponsorship.

Question: i have signed a contract on 6-12-2023 and it will expire on 5-12-2024. My iqama expiry is in oct 2024. I want to ask if i continue working till my 1 year contract then my current employer will renew my iqama? If yes for how long it will be renewed as i will terminate the term of contract (after 2 months of iqama expiry)

It is up to your employer for how long they want to renew. 

@iamsarimraza - what is a 'free visa'?

To answer your first question, your old company and your new company must transfer your iqama formally through government channels.

Secondly, you cannot be employed without a valid iqama - so, if your contract dates and iqama dates are not aligned (as happens all the time), your employer/sponsor will need to renew your iqama