Cambodia Orphanage

Anyone knows of any orphanage in Cambodia? We would like to visit and make donations.

Please post contact here or pm the contact.

Yes I too would be happy to help a REAL  ORPHANAGE, all I've heard about is fake ones and I've been here 3 years,

Gosh! Thank for the heads up.

Please Google orphanages in Cambodia and learn why, although done with good intention, this really isn't a good thing to do.

Ok, thank you!

Yes it a tough situation to know if and where your money is going, I send two small girls to school I know there mother and father , they cannot afford it, I also against many expats advice I give to a young girl I've seen for three years begging with her little sister, she was a baby now she's walking around, most expats say don't give street kids money, but I'm pretty sure there not out there daily because it's fun, if any goes to them for food I'm up to give her 5$ a week , so you have to be selective, it's not as easy as it would seem, to give money to a worthy cause in this third world area , more scams than the real thing, but look around after a few weeks maybe months you will see a need , “ you can't help everyone, but you must help someone”

Hi Paul,
I encourage you to Google “orphanage Cambodia” and judge what is best to do. However, I know a NGO organization that keeps contact with as many orphanages as possible in Cambodia and do their best to make sure the children are fine. You can send me a message if you want I find it for you. I have no personal interest to give you this info.
Louise

I know it is hard not giving money to kids that are begging but I have been told by Cambodian that the there is work now in Cambodia that parents can do. I believe kids' place is the school not the street.

Cambol, yes but I still have a few kids I help , for one reason or another they are not in school where they belong I agree , so I help , but basic advice is. Not to give money to the children on the street

As for begging kids, which is slightly off topic as they are not orphanage kids, I too, like Twinsguy, have been taking care of some kids, before in Sihanoukville and now in PP.

They are not begging and skip school, a misunderstanding. They go to school in the morning but in the afternoon and evening they stroll the streets in the tourist area to sell things like bracelets, shawls, wallets and more. So they are not beggars, they sell stuff.

I take care of a few girls, buy them shoes when they walk barefoot [they don't cheat me, they walk every day miles and miles so their cheap shoes don't last long], I buy them food. It's a little bit for me, but a great deal for them. It is personal, I know nobody gets the money I give them except the girls themselves.

Different are the girls that sell flowers at night. They work for some people and have to give the money of sold flowers to those people. I prefer to buy them food, they are still around after midnight and I use to go to a fish and chips place and buy chips, share with them. That way at least they have something in their stomach and they are happy.

This is about beggars [I don't give to women walking with a baby and just asking for money as most are scams] and girls selling stuff.

Orphanages is a grey area, there are good ones but how would a tourist or new expat know? I don't even know and I'm around quite some time now.

It would be a waste if people give money and it never does any good for the kids in orphanages. Buy a little thing from girls that offer it for sale, make them happy and know your money is well spent.

Joe

Exactly jo , after you have been here or in a area awhile, you see the  real needy ones , and you help, I know jo and he's extremely generous and helps the  people he sees really needs it,

Actually, we operate religious charity with funds that has to utilize  specifically for orphanage or the disadvantaged.

If there's no valid orphanage we prefer to start some form of Christian community outreach program for the disadvantaged to  pdispense vital help to the community.

Perhaps we can recruit/ convert trustworthy English speaking local helpers.

How difficult to register a Christian community base program in Cambodia?

Well Paul if there is a Christian based orphanage, then I definitely would not want to donate or be a part of this , I've seen this all over the world, this is a beautiful Buddhist country, converting  it or trying to would be a nightmare for this country, this is just exactly the reason jo and  have the same perspective on this, just try to help where you can,

It is difficult to know what it is best to do. I have a Khmer teenager who lives with me and who I now consider to be my son. Previously he lived in a provincial orphanage off the tourist track and was clinically depressed and anorexic when I first met him.
    Children in this orphanage have the basic needs of food, shelter and education provided for them. Sadly about 80% of them have at least one parent alive and some do visit their families and receive limited financial assistance. However, in the main most of them get virtually nothing from their families and the only emotional support most of them receive is from their peers. I found that they are very short of essentials such as underwear and shoes and school uniforms.
    However, corruption among the staff in this orphanage is rife, from the top down. It is highly unlikely that much money, if any, given to the orphanage director et al will find its way to the children and items purchased for the children's use or enjoyment have been known to disappear, presumably sold. Usually this is done by the staff but meth addiction is rife, aided and abetted by a member of staff/dealer, and a resident recently sold the orphanage dog probably for meth money.
    I found the only way to help these children is by giving to them directly and buying them what they need. This is, of course, difficult because when there's between 60 and 70 residents, who do you support?

Your post is inspiring.  My partner and I will be living In SR next month and would like to help people  that have not had the privileged life that I have had. Once we are settled in we will look for a way we can help.

Johnocorvette wrote:

Your post is inspiring.  My partner and I will be living In SR next month and would like to help people  that have not had the privileged life that I have had. Once we are settled in we will look for a way we can help.

That's ok John and a good idea.

Just don't donate to organizations, whether they are orphanages, NGO's or whatever.

I remember to have donated money to a restaurant in Thailand, the owner then cooked meals for 250 kids in the local orphanage, a catholic one but with ties to a good school and even a chance for kids of 15 or older to start to have a job.
We then started to drive with all the meals to the orphanage, the staff and kids were already waiting for us and the whole eating festivity was great. We collected among us something like $2500 so we had a budget of $10 per kid. We were able to also donate underwear and hygienic products and the top of the day was ice cream. A well-spent day and money.

Do your best but investigate where the money goes, or even products you buy.

Cheers.

Joe

Hi, I'm an outdoor caterer in the UK at the moment so I am used to cooking for people in large groups. Maybe you have given me the idea I was looking for.
Many thanks.
John

I believe it is better to give money to an organization that takes care of orphanage groups, not single orphanage.

Back to children that "work" to get money, I am afraid that parents that let their kids asking for money, either begging or selling something get happy with that and contemplate being a victim by not looking for a solution that won't involve their offspring. This is not a role model that is best for them.

Children on the street are vulnerable to predators. It is scaring!

To each their own cambo, I personally like to see all of my money go to a person or persons , not  to a corporate expense account , although I'm sure there are good ones out there , I've just yet to seen one yet

If your here for a few months , then you will see a need in “ your own back yard” so to speak , if your thinking globally then yes a reputable organization is your best choice, but on a local bases , don't worry you won't have to look far to see real need all around you , no need for a organization, just money food clothing, easy just the basics , some free English lessons , that would be a real need for children who cannot afford English school,  that would be a worthwhile organization!

Johnocorvette wrote:

Hi, I'm an outdoor caterer in the UK at the moment so I am used to cooking for people in large groups. Maybe you have given me the idea I was looking for.
Many thanks.
John

Would be great John!

Joe

cambol wrote:

I believe it is better to give money to an organization that takes care of orphanage groups, not single orphanage.

Back to children that "work" to get money, I am afraid that parents that let their kids asking for money, either begging or selling something get happy with that and contemplate being a victim by not looking for a solution that won't involve their offspring. This is not a role model that is best for them.

Children on the street are vulnerable to predators. It is scaring!

It is this negative way of commenting that helps nobody. There is the fact that kids sells things on the streets, you and I will not be able to stop that. So accept it as reality and do something to help a few kids. If 500 expats would help 2 kids each, 1000 kids would have a slightly better life. At least something to eat, shoes on their feet, school education and the feeling someone cares for them.

I know two mothers of two girls I help, they are really poor but they work too, the girls selling things help the whole situation.

Girls on the streets at night is scary. The good thing is that they don't go with anyone and know the trustworthy foreigners to go to and talk. On top there is social security by mothers, tuktuk drivers and police so that no sick-minded guy can walk around with these girls. I don't say it's not risky but at least it is under control.

Cheers.

Joe