Dutch smiles, canals and cities, countryside, and challenges

I've never been to Europe before.  I moved here from the USA to begin a new life, a master's program in education, and find a new community of friends.  Not an easy thing to do for anyone, especially those of us who are "over-40", LGBT, and single.

There is so much to learn about living in a new country!  Fortunately, many Dutch are friendly and helpful, as well as speak at least some English, and are patient!  So thank you!  I admire that the Netherlands seems to be a place where all the world's cultures come to live and add their own special contributions--and everyone is readily accepting of each other.

I am awe of all the city and country area canals that I've seen:  so far, Utrecht and Amsterdam where the old-town architecture, and the millions of bicycles--parked or on the move everywhere I look. 

I  am fond of the farmland countryside that is actually pretty close to the cities--and I hope the countryside remains farm-land--and with it the lovely and practical, humble farming families--for generations and generations to come!

I think the biggest challenge for me--aside from a potent head & chest cold upon arrival--has been finding a long-term residence that is: 1) affordable, 2) either within a major city or very close to mass-transit, 3) meets my general living needs.  I left a community in the USA partly because housing has become far too expensive for all but the top 1% wage earners (and partly for other reasons, including the current, embarrassing and shocking political climate).

I look forward to the coming years of life in theNetherlands.  I look forward to becoming a valued part of a community and large circle of friends and lasting relationships.

Welcome on board and in the Netherlands  :cheers:

I love your choice of the headline and your large introduction.

And I am looking forward to your contribution on this forum and anywhere else.

Hi Ross,

First of all Welkom in Nederland!

I am from the Netherlands and can fill you in with some things of our culture. First of all about lbgt you don't have to worry about it. Just tell people and they will accept it easily.
Just be yourself and it will be fine, we don't like fake people and will tell it in there faces. We have a saying: "Doe maar normaal, dan doe je al gek genoeg" it just means act normal (it's important to be like that in our country).

If you want to live in big cities like Amsterdam, The Hague, Rotterdam, Leiden, Utrecht etc. it is just more expensive than the rest of the Netherlands. It's way cheaper just outside those cities and the public transportation is decent.
It's a lot easier than driving yourself in the busy parts around the big cities that's for sure. Just to many cars.

Well this helps you a little bit forward in Nederland.