Should I Retire to Cebu City?

I have been living in Thailand for 12 years now and I have decided to try pastures anew.
I am a divorced man in my seventies but am told I look much younger - flatterers all of them!
I am arriving in the Philippines on 12 Sep, but have not got a clue where to go and I thought I might give Cebu City a try.
I would like to find a female partner and wondered if that would be possible in Cebu?
The problem I think is that wherever you go particularly in Asia, money is always at the forefront of the ladies, which I suppose is understandable as they are merely trying to survive.
Are there condos available for rent?  I have a budget of about 30 -35,000 peso.  Would that find me a decent apartment?
Is there a social scene where I could meet possible female partners?

I look forward to hearing from the seasoned expats in Cebu City as to their opinion.

Many thanks

Did you get a reply. I am also looking into moving to Philippines but don't have a clue as to where

I lived in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Bangkok. Pattaya and also all  over China. I've relocated to Ormoc on Leyte Island in the last few months because I met a lady from here online back in September. I couldn't be happier. Some meet the wrong gal, some have different experiences, but I think the culture, people, women and Gov here are way better for me than Thailand and especially China. I am American. I have an American friend that feels the same.  He has a gf in Cebu and he will soon relocate to Cebu as well. Your finances will be a bit tight, I think. Perhaps  others can help with advice about that.

danzb wrote:

Did you get a reply. I am also looking into moving to Philippines but don't have a clue as to where

Have you ever been to the Philippines?  What is your monthly income and source of income? Why the Philippines?

Nostidamus wrote:

I have been living in Thailand for 12 years now and I have decided to try pastures anew.
I am a divorced man in my seventies but am told I look much younger - flatterers all of them!
I am arriving in the Philippines on 12 Sep, but have not got a clue where to go and I thought I might give Cebu City a try.
I would like to find a female partner and wondered if that would be possible in Cebu?
The problem I think is that wherever you go particularly in Asia, money is always at the forefront of the ladies, which I suppose is understandable as they are merely trying to survive.
Are there condos available for rent?  I have a budget of about 30 -35,000 peso.  Would that find me a decent apartment?
Is there a social scene where I could meet possible female partners?

I look forward to hearing from the seasoned expats in Cebu City as to their opinion.

Many thanks

Should be able to get a place for that rent.  Did you make it to Cebu?

Yes you can get a nice 1 bdrm condo for that. Look on Lamudi.com.

No, I have never been to Philippines. Last year I visited Chiang Mai and I really liked the place. What factors made me think of this place as ideal are follows:
Wonderful weather [except for the time of the crop burning]
Excellent Health care
Lots to do

What are been my motivation to look into Philippines recently:
Can get along with English and not have to learn a different language.
Cebu, even though I do not have any medical condition, it would be best where there are good hospitals and healthcare
Most important, make friends and find a partner

mugtech wrote:
danzb wrote:

Have you ever been to the Philippines?  What is your monthly income and source of income? Why the Philippines?

Monthly income will be $2000. Retirement funds

danzb wrote:
mugtech wrote:
danzb wrote:

Monthly income will be $2000. Retirement funds

That should be plenty to live a Good life anywhere in the Philippines.  General idea is to find a place you would like to live and rent for at least a year before making any commitment to buy anything.  What places have you considered?

Hi Nostidamus

I am an american, in your same age group. I have lived in Thailand, China and the Philippines. I lived in Makati, Cebu and about 3 years ago I been living in Davao City with my fiancee in a condo that I purchased at that time when I did not know anybody. I do travel between Davao City and USA for business as a consultant. I recommend that you retire to Davao City since Cebu is becoming more like Manila with bad traffic and increasing crime (Google it). In Davao City, it is easy to find a good women with strong family values and emotionally stable. I recommend that you use Date In Asia and start chatting with ladies in Davao City. Please be careful since there are also a like of playgirls and scammer on this site. But if you can filter out the scammers, you will find a great partner. It will take you time and if you are in Davao City it will be better. Do not tell anyone your income and never send any money to any women on dating sites until you meet them in person. If you want me to help you out in Davao City please send me a note or request to contact me here. Good Luck.

Check out YouTube
Amazing Philippines, he reviews a bunch of condos he is older guy,about your age I think
Also
Chris in Cebu, for general feel of Cebu City
400$ for rent,no problem,watch.out for details, condo fees, electricity, internet,water,parking, hot water in shower, size of ac, mattress hardness, water pressure,sun exposure, noisy road or construction or kareoke next door
Half the fun is learning
DIA is free, but be cautious and smart, everyone is not a scammer though,easy enough to block people your not interested in.
70's still time for fun,  look for never married and no kids less drama, she might only be 27 but you can sacrifice.

I wouldn't recommend cebu city sir.    Fast becoming unlivable mostly due to traffic congestion....it's hard to tell the difference between cebu city and manila these days.

Thank you

That's good info. Thanks for posting. I'm also considering moving to Cebu next year I'll be 62, single and looking to start fresh. Sounds like I should do some research regarding Davao instead!

Thread is two years old, in that time Cebu has only gotten worse. The traffic is jammed everywhere. Air is bad in the city center. Many other nice areas in the Visayas though - Bohol, Panglao, Dumaguete, Moalboal.. all great places for beach life, other expats and reasonable costs.

Pnwcyclist
Is correct
Cebu city is toast.
Nickname Manila junior
Pollution and traffic

I suspect the main reason guys go there is the easy flight access and reputation for beautiful women, who can in fact be found all over the Philippines.