Ray from Baltimore USA

Hello,

Just a quick entro. I am living here in the Santo Domingo area for about 3 months now, was in Sosua for 6 months, and brought a female friend with me, back from Sosua...but now I'm thinking that was a mistake, but that is a another story.

My Spanish is very basic, and I depend a lot on my live in girlfriend at the moment.

I work remotely, so I am not retired.

We are renting an apartment and I have a scooter I ride to get around...I love it, but you have to be very careful because it is really really dangerous...with the pot holes, cars, bike and people walking in the streets...but I truly love it. Driving a car here is such a pain, but sometimes needed.

Just looking for other English speaking people to hang out with every now and then and for morale support...

-Ray

Hi Ray.

I use to live in the D. C. area and spent a lot of time in Balt'more  as they say.

This was back in the early to mid 70's.  When they had the Playboy Club.  hehehe.

Before the crime got bad.  The Harbor back then, was fun and safe.  It was a fun place to go. 

I am in Luperon on the North Shore.  Good luck with the girlfriend.  I was told, that after you live with a girl here, you are liable for her and she has a 50% stake in you after living with her for four months.  Maybe someone can verify that.  A friend of mine in Luperon who has been here for 15 years told me. 

God luck.  Write back to start a dialogue.

Big Bob

Hmmm... that is good to know, actually I asked her to leave today. So we only lasted 3 months.

Actually as I type she is packing her things...of course making a lot of noise.

Thanks for the info though...

-ray

Dominican girls can be very verbal.  God love em.

Welcome to the group Ray From Bal-more. Lived in Pikesville for a time some years ago. there are lots of helpful people on this group that can share their experiences. Mi Pana, i wish you luck with your dominican girlfirnd. some of them are FEISTY. I have a dominican mother, sister and daughter, God bless you man. LMAO.

Thank you, yep know the area well.

Try some smaller towns, Juan dolio, or even Navarete or Samana or Bavaro. Santo Domingo is to big for a scooter. Maybe even Bonao.

Try smaller Towns get immersed.

Hi Ray
I will be in DR 3rd Sept onwards and will at some stage be coming to Santo Domingo so lets get together for a beer maybe. Like you I'm looking to make some new friends , or if your ever in San Pedro  or anywhere near give us a shout.

Steve

Welcome to the forums Ray. I live and work in Santo Domingo so happy to meet up and chat.

So lots of rumors about living with a Dominican be it a woman or a man. There is the law and then there is practical application. Neither the law nor practical application is 4 months honey. 

If she is packing then make sure nothing gets left behind, becomes an excuse to stay connected.

The Latino culture is very verbal, loud and can be in your face. I remember my first few years here I always thought people were fighting!  Nope, those were only spirited discussions!

I was also told by a boyfriend that I clearly did not love him - because I never screamed at him!   :D

Thanks Planner for the clarification. I thought 4 months sounded really weird. I understand about the loud and in your face, since I am from Baltimore I am used to that, but with my limited Spanish, it does not work for me :-). Would love to meet up in the Santo Dominica (am on the east side) area sometime to chat. Of course right now I need to get a handle on this situation and get it in control.

-Ray

Let me know when you are ready hon,  no problem for me.  Yes get a handle on things,  maybe change your locks???  Good luck!

Hey Planner can I ask you a question. So my friend wants to leave and she is claiming that she by law gets to take everything in the house. Even though I bought everything and she has only been here for 4 months.

Is that true?

btw: The reason she wants to leave is because I caught her lying and cheating. And I told her she can leave. Of course then she wanted to come back, but she still doing the exact same thing. So when I start to question of she denied it, but then says she is leaving and that everything in the house is mines by law.

There was no sorry and no apology at all...no remorse either. All denial.

Thanks

No honey she is not entitled to it or anything after 4 months.  Get her out and change the locks immediately. If you need a lawyer let us know.

Thank you will do...