TIN with or without e-residence and being here for 6 months

Hi all,
Apologies if this has been answered before but a lot of the posts on this look quite old and I'd ideally like some 2018 up to date info.
I need a Maltese Taxpayers Identification Number (TIN) (for reasons not relevant this question) but I am not sure if this can be done without applying for e residence? I have read old posts on here that say I can go to Floriana and get one but not sure if this is applying for eResidence.
I intend to be in Malta for 6 months. I can't find definitive info on this but is it the case that if you are in Malta for more than 90 days as a tourist you have to register in some way? Is this eResidence?
I find this conflicting as Malta transport say you can keep a car for 6m as a tourist but only 30 days as an eResident (without registering) and I saw elsewhere that you have to register as eResident if you're here for more than 90 days?
So how do you do it? How can you keep a car as a tourist for 6 months if you have to register after 90 days? Do you have to leave Malta and come back every 90 days?   (and I thought that didn't really work anyway...)
My real question here is on the TIN and eResidence but the car thing seems like a paradox.
Appreciate any (non speculative ;-) ) answers thanks.
M

Why not apply for residency?

because I am only going to be here for 6 months. If I become resident I have to import the car which is expensive and means I have to reregister it again when I leave.

quote from Malta transport site
"- If you are a tourist, your car can stay in Malta for six out of 12 months, while retaining its foreign registration plates. Maltese residents (not just Maltese people, but anyone who has declared Malta to be their residence) cannot drive a vehicle with foreign registration plates (unless they have been given permission from Transport Malta).

- If you are resident in Malta, you can only drive the car you have imported when it has Maltese number plates, that is, when it has been registered in Malta. You are given seven days to apply and following this are fined €30 for every day after that."

Why would a tourist need a tax payers numbers? Are you working in a way that would require taxes to be paid in malta? Then you're not a tourist.

I know you claim this is not relevant, but it's exactly relevant.

If you state your intention to reside in Malta then you also have to register with the Tax office.
If you wish to be here as a tourist then you can do the 3 months and then ask for an extension for a further 3 months.  No need to register for tax purposes, or register the car.

As 'Volcane' said if you are doing any work at all then you cease to be a tourist and unless you are here perhaps on a short term contract with an overseas employer then you would need to register as a resident. Car would also have to be reigistered.

Ray

Is it really worth bringing your car if you are in Malta for only 6 months?  As it's been said already you can not be a tourist and work.

Thanks for answers all - confusion reigns  :) .

To clarify I won't be working here at all or even remotely for anywhere. I have foreign income.
I didn't think the reason for the TIN was relevant to discussion but basically I opened a foreign bank account while here (as I am no longer resident in my prev country) and gave Maltese address and they requested a tin (there is no other drama there tbh and it wasn't my question so lets move on...;-). There are lots of other reasons for needing a TIN as a tourist (e.g. buying a house) so I didn't think this was controversial and is a distraction.
I have been debating residency for the 6m (so would appreciate help on this) but I then have to lose the car. I might become ordinarily resident anyway since my calcs indicate I'll prob be here just over the 183 days (in which case I have a problem with car as tourist for last few days) but I do have plans to move on in europe so need the car and don't want to register/unregister it here as I was quoted 10k eur for import and its 2 way paperwork and loss of use in my original country (which still is valid at present). The car is already here - I drove it through Italy to get here...

The answer on my orig q sounds like I need to request a tourist visa (from where?) for another 3m at the end of the 90d but if I exceed 183d I will become ordinarily resident anyway and have to do a tax return (which is ok as I already have an accountant here).  Does anyone know how this would work at the end of 2 90 day stints as I presume I can't be a tourist any longer? Can I leave Malta to Italy at 90 days and come back on a fresh 90 day tourist visa? Thats probably ok under eu rules?

Thanks
M

and the question still stands - can I get a TIN without applying for residency. Looks like I can go to Floriana for this?

You are on VERY shaky ground if you think you can spend 1/2 a year without any tax residence anywhere by leaving your previous place of tax residence and moving elsewhere  as a "tourist" without officially becoming resident.

It's likely you only think you're not tax resident there anymore and this will not stand up in any kind of investigation.  This is possible for only very few nationalities (AU being one).  As a EU citizen though? lol you're going to screw yourself over if you keep going in this way.

The system doesnt make sense to you because you are attempting to do something you can't do, obviously.

Update for anyone that wants facts finding this post rather than a lot of the speculative crp posted by various people on this.

You CAN get your tin before you get residence. It takes half an hour at Floriana Inland Revenue office and you get it instantly, probably months before you'll get residence if you do it this way around. I have a TIN but do not have residence at present.
That was my basic question.

It is assumed that you will be applying for residence though (and not being a tourist) so you will be asked which one.

MamLam wrote:

Update for anyone that wants facts finding this post rather than a lot of the speculative crp posted by various people on this.

You CAN get your tin before you get residence. It takes half an hour at Floriana Inland Revenue office and you get it instantly, probably months before you'll get residence if you do it this way around. I have a TIN but do not have residence at present.

It is assumed that you will be applying for residence though (and not being a tourist) so you will be asked which one.

If you do not like the help you have been given on here perhaps it's best you do not ask for advice.

perhaps people should just not answer if they don't know the answer.

Maybe people should be grateful that people have taken time out of their day to reply to questions.

MamLam wrote:

So I assume you lied and have left yourself open to prosecution!

I would also suggest you don't bother posting on here anymore as you don't appreciate people trying to help and could so easily have got off your a*se and gone to the tax office in the first place! Ray