New in thailand, need help and advice

Hey guys, I'm tevia and I'm moving to thailand next month as I got a job offer there. Only thing is i need some help and advice on how to live there, such as what kind of phone network provider should i get, what bank should i open my saving account, what brand of wifi, any precaution i should know and all that newbie stuff i should know? My salary i believe would be like 36k ish thai baht per month, do you think thats enough for a persons cost of living there including rent and food and all? What do you think tho let me know. I'll work in bangkok in united building or something. All that aside i would love to meet and get to know new friends so hmu, thank you

make sure you job is allowed in Thailand for expats...

Yeah it is otherwise i wouldnt go right

tevialim wrote:

Hey guys, I'm tevia and I'm moving to thailand next month as I got a job offer there. Only thing is i need some help and advice on how to live there, such as what kind of phone network provider should i get, what bank should i open my saving account, what brand of wifi, any precaution i should know and all that newbie stuff i should know? My salary i believe would be like 36k ish thai baht per month, do you think thats enough for a persons cost of living there including rent and food and all? What do you think tho let me know. I'll work in bangkok in united building or something. All that aside i would love to meet and get to know new friends so hmu, thank you

Hello Tevia,
         I'm living here for 16 and working as an English teacher for 14 years. I live of 32,000 baht with a family, paying rent every month, etc.

You can easily get fiber highspeed internet for an affordable price, I've got a download speed of 120 and an upload of 50. I'm with TOT for many years but you'll find many other providers who've got great offers. I was upgraded to 130 without anybody telling me that and I pay 750 baht per month, including. tax.

Many banks do not open an account for you if you haven't got a work permit! Bangkok bank seems to be the easiest way to go.

Please be careful when making friends, not all foreigners are as nice as they seem to be at first sight. A lot of rip-offs are around, that's also with Thai people you'll run into at work or when you're out.

Use some time to get enough information on how to get around in Bangkok, choose a place that's easily accessible by MRT, or Skytrain, the best and fastest way to travel. Also, a very safe way to travel, the traffic in Bangkok is really something you should be careful.

Don't buy a motorbike if you hadn't driven one before, accidents happen very often and you should make sure to have an insurance that covers all costs. Too many foreigners are having accidents, get sick, etc and find themselves in situations that they can't pay for the hospital bill.

An insurance is as important as taking care of your passport, having the right type of visa that nothing can go wrong. Don't leave your common sense at the airport, think twice before you make a decision that could bring you in any sort of danger.

I haven't read all the replies, please feel free to continue posting and if there's anything where you'll need help, you'll get the right advice. There are certain places for all genders, plenty of bars, Go-Go's, etc... where people can buy sex, but some obviously mix that up with buying love.

Look for a place to live that's not at the main road, make sure that you're not living at a place where nobody would like to stay longer than an hour. Have a great start!
Kind regards from the lower northeast, 570 km away from the capital.

Cheers- Mike