Have we lost internet AGAIN??

Is anyone having problems connecting to out of country servers? I can not connect to any US servers. Not sure where the server is for this site, but obviously I can connect to it.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/inter … 97663.html

My word. Did they float they cable on the surface. Darn thing is always broken. Thanks

I also have problems with the Internet over the FO VNPT connection which can be rented here in the high-rise. However, if I use my mobile phone as a hotspot for my computer and access the Internet via the Vinaphone 3G/4G, I have no problems.

Yes, exact same situation here. Oh well we wait a few weeks until they glue the cable back together. Maybe we should go back to smoke signals.

There hasn't been any serious changes in our connection here in VT.  Our VPN in the last couple of weeks has been set to several parts of California and it was slow now and then, but not enough to switch to our 4G mobile hotspot.

Andy Passenger wrote:

*snip*...if I use my mobile phone as a hotspot for my computer and access the Internet via the Vinaphone 3G/4G, I have no problems.

~~~

Ciambella wrote:

*snip*...Our VPN in the last couple of weeks has been set to several parts of California and it was slow now and then, but not enough to switch to our 4G mobile hotspot.

I haven't seen any threads on the cost of mobile data; just mentions here and there which have implied it's prohibitively expensive.

Can we go  :offtopic: a bit and talk about that? Also, are your plans pre or post-paid?

Thanks!

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Andy Passenger wrote:

*snip*...if I use my mobile phone as a hotspot for my computer and access the Internet via the Vinaphone 3G/4G, I have no problems.

~~~

Ciambella wrote:

*snip*...Our VPN in the last couple of weeks has been set to several parts of California and it was slow now and then, but not enough to switch to our 4G mobile hotspot.

I haven't seen any threads on the cost of mobile data; just mentions here and there which have implied it's prohibitively expensive.

Can we go  :offtopic: a bit and talk about that? Also, are your plans pre or post-paid?

Thanks!

I can't say anything about cell phone plans.

This link is about prepaid SIM cards.
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Vietnam

I have a very cheap "data only" SIM card (ezCom) from Vinaphone which is normally used for mobile Hotspot adapters.
5GB for 70k Dong (DMAX), 9GB for 100k Dong (DMAX100) or 20GB for 200k Dong (DMAX200).
I haven't found any cheaper data packages here in Vietnam.

My 4G portable mobile hotspot device (2/3 the size of an iPhone 7 but twice the thickness) from TP-Link cost 1.3M at the time I bought it.  The same model is now sold for around 1M on Lazada.  There are also other models from other makers that are sold at much lower prices but my nephew recommended this one. 

I don't buy into a plan, just a one-year SIM card from Viettel (4G, 15GB of data) which was 400K two months ago.  I used to buy 30-day 4G SIM cards from Vinaphone for 80K - 100K; the one-year is a much better deal.  There are always promotions amongst the providers so it pays to shop around.

We only switch the device on when WiFi is not available (2.3GB were used the first 5 weeks but nothing since, so there are 12.7GB of data left for the next 10). 

Because SIM card isn't in any phone, WiFi is available for up to 5 devices instead of one.  When travelling to other countries (I think SEA is the only region supporting this system at the moment, but I may be wrong), we would buy a local SIM card for the duration of our stay.  While we were in Chiang Mai in June, 2 cell phones, 2 iPads, and 1 laptop were using the device at the same time.  No hiccuping, no slowing down, and no cell phone data was used.

I use mobifone post-paid for our family's data need. I pay 300K for 33GB of 4G data (HD300 plan). They also have 44GB for 400K, 55GB for 500K. On average, my family consumes about 30+ GB of data a month, so this plan is about right for us. My Nexus 6 phone is serving as the hotspot.

Getting internet service for my house though the traditional provider (vnpt, viettel, etc.) is more costly than my current set-up. IIRC, I'll have to pay around 500K a month for the internet service. I'm in district 7.

Ciambella wrote:

My 4G portable mobile hotspot device (2/3 the size of an iPhone 7 but twice the thickness) from TP-Link cost 1.3M at the time I bought it.  The same model is now sold for around 1M on Lazada.  There are also other models from other makers that are sold at much lower prices but my nephew recommended this one. 

@Ciambella, thanks for mention about the TP-Link device. I'll get one of those to relieve my phone from hotspot duty.

One quick question, would you be able to check your data usage without having to remove the sim from the device to put it in a phone? Thanks in advance.

avhexpat wrote:

would you be able to check your data usage without having to remove the sim from the device to put it in a phone?

Not the data usage, but the available data is shown in the window on the device when you turn it on.  No need to remove it.

colinoscapee wrote:

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/internet-connection-in-turtle-mode-as-undersea-cable-snaps-again-3797663.html

Nice, informative story.

Thanks

Thnx :)

Try the Tunnelbear app

My bank blocked me, as did other government websites. This helped.