Maltese Citizenship by Marriage - Experiences and Timelines

Hi all,

I'm a couple weeks away from bringing all my paperwork to Identity Malta. I've got a good idea (I think) of what I need to do here, but no one there can tell me about how long it will take. My Maltese husband and I have been married 5 years and meet their criteria.

Have any of you gone through this or know people who have?
Do you know how long it normally takes from the point at which you give them the information they ask for on their website?
Do they ever come back for more documents that you don't know about in the beginning?
Is there anything I should know about this process?

Thank you!!!

Hi,

I have found there is little information to be found on timing or even the processes regarding citizenships via marriage online, but I hope my experience can help.

Last August I received my Citizenship instantly at Identity Malta through my father who was born in Malta, who comes from a long line of Maltese descendants. I gave original copies of my Australian birth certificates and my marriage certificate (to which they registered and then I was able to order a Maltese version of these documents) I needed these to get a Maltese passport and to apply for my citizenship for my children and husband.

In the October after receiving my Maltese birth certificate and marriage certificate, we went to Identity Malta with all of our documents and I applied for my husband and children's citizenships. We applied as a family and the gentleman that served me there was incredibly helpful and prompt. It took all in all my 30-45mins for him to process the paperwork and for the payment to be made.

He did warn us that with Brexit happening, they have had a huge influx of Citizenship applications and that it could take up to a year or more. He did mention that because I have children (who he said would never be denied citizenship) that our application may be quicker being lumped together.

My children received their Citizenship Certificates in February of this year (so it took 4 months) and I was contacted last month for my husband to take his Oath of Allegiance to Malta so that his citizenship can be finalised. I did ring to see what the final steps to be taken are (I wasn't sure if they may be different than my children's process as it isn't his birth right) and he told me to wait for their call in approx. 2 months to collect the certificate (I was told via email from other employee at Identity Malta that this could just be a few weeks as different departments handle different parts of the certificate with official stamps etc) so we will see how long it takes.

So if all goes well and the certificate is ready for collection when he said it would be the process for my husband would have taken a total of 11/12 months.

In regards to them wanting more paperwork after the initial application, no I have not received any further requests for documentation.

However it should be noted that I have emailed and rung consistently through out this year to question how the application was going. I am sure I drove them crazy but they were always helpful.

I hope this has helped.