Living in Emmen

Hi all,

My husband's looking to possibly go to university in Emmen. We know absolutely nothing about the city besides the fact that it's super far away (we currently live in Leiden) and next to the German border. If anyone's lived there before, or even visited, can you give me some insight on how it's like there? We are an interracial couple (he's British white, I'm Asian American), so how are people like there? Any small Asian communities so I can still get good access to Asian food, whether it's restaurants or tokos? Any comments will be highly appreciated. Thanks!!

Distance are relative so it's not far if you might think.
Since you are already in Leiden what don't you visit and explore the city by yourself?
I feel a weekend trip coming up  :D

200 (ish) kms; I agree with Primadonna, make a weekend of it.

If the university is a strong choice, we definitely plan on visiting. But a weekend trip can't tell us the same information as from someone living there, firsthand, especially since we've turned up very little information from expats about Emmen online. Thus why we turned to this forum.

Just go to Emmen visit the university, just look around and afterwards do some shopping. Emmen also has a great zoo, the Vincent van Gogh house and the well known peat areas (Veengebieden).

StephanieH0429 wrote:

If the university is a strong choice, we definitely plan on visiting. But a weekend trip can't tell us the same information as from someone living there, firsthand, especially since we've turned up very little information from expats about Emmen online. Thus why we turned to this forum.

I don't agree. If you look by yourself you get much more information and impressions than just hearing from strangers.

We live in Drenthe and can recommend Emmen. It's a nice northern town. The people here are in general very different to what you will be used to over in the West (you will notice how much more placid they are). If you've only experienced the Dutch 'Randstad', you will be in for a surprise at the easy-going way of life 'up north', even in the towns and cities (we live in the countryside here).

If you like scenery, attractions, nature, wildlife, the outdoor life (Drenthe is known as the 'biking province') this is it. You've got an abundance of national parks not far from you, as well as the islands off the coast. And yes, the new adventure-zoo, 'Wildlands' on your doorstep.

An added plus is the fact that you are near the German border, so forget all those high costs for petrol, food, clothes, shopping at the chemist, garden centres, etc. which are the norm here in the NL. Like many of us here in the northern provinces, you can easily do your shopping in Germany and save a lot of money.

As to Asian food, one of the best Asian restaurants we've ever been to in the NL was in Emmen (I will have to look up the name)! There are tokos as well up here.

Remember, here in the North, it's more like Belgium than Holland. After 27 years living in the NL (of which 14 years was spent in the western provinces), we would only leave Drenthe if we emigrated out of the NL. We have a lifestyle here that was not possible before and it was the best choice we ever made with regards to bringing up our two young daughters.

And, you have  s---p---a---c---e  (no traffic jams east of the ring road in Zwolle!)

Definitely come and see how very much different life is here. And, even if you start to miss the cities, Groningen is not far away for a visit!

Hi, we are looking for some nice city to live , especially for kids..but my question is: is Emmen safe??We've seen a house that we loved, but there was a lot cameras aroud every corner.. and the azc quite close made us think a little bit more "careful"..how is it?

Hi, we are looking for some nice city to live , especially for kids..but my question is: is Emmen safe??We've seen a house that we loved, but there was a lot cameras aroud every corner.. and the azc quite close made us think a little bit more "careful"..how is it?
-@Mags84

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I guess cameras and asylum seekers are a way of life in much of Europe these days.  My wife comes from Enschede which is just south of Emmen, it seems that all the Dutch border towns have an AZC to help these people integrate.  Crime seems to have risen dramatically (which probably goes to explain why there are so many security cameras around; the Numbeo website has more details and this link will take you straight to it.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@Mags84

In a report to be found on Oozo (based on statistics between 2018-2020), Emmen is placed at 234th position out of 343 for the safest council areas in the Netherlands (the most unsafe are at 341th - Eindhoven / 342th Rotterdam and 343th - Amsterdam).

It's safer than Wassenaar (which is at position 235).

https://www.oozo.nl/hoe-veilig-is/emmen

In the same report, Westerveld (SW Drenthe, where I live, around 40 minutes west of Emmen) holds 19th position, being among the safest council areas in the NL. Many people here work for example, in Emmen, Assen, Hoogeveen, Meppel, Zwolle and Groningen. If safety is a real priority for you, maybe move to the countryside and commute into the city. Children here also travel to the larger towns and cities for schooling after completing primary and secondary schools, both which even our village of 2,200 inhabitants has.

Although, if you are looking for schooling for your (young) children in English, then I can understand why you are looking at moving to a city.

@Mags84

Are you interested in my project

-@Mags84

Ouch, that sounds like a bit racism...

I worked more than 13 years with asylum seekers who lives in the AZC's and I can tell you that the most of the people are like you and I.

I can not say there's no crime at all but the chance of being robbed is like anywhere else in the country.

Having a camera every corner is a device that can help you to protect or prevent being a victim of violence in any form.

It's the these days unfortunately the norm to have it.