Just moved to Almere - basic question on waste disposal

Hello,

After 2 years staying in Amsterdam, we decided to move to Almere for a more long-term stay, more specifically in the Almere Parkwijk area.

Waste disposal is a little different as there are specific collection date on different kinds of waste categories (and the city provides the containers as well). I know the schedule of waste collection, which I thought was all fine, but I'm surprised I never see any of my neighbors taking out their waste for collection. Actually, I never see any of my neighbors at all in my first week of stay. This leads me to the following questions:

1. Where do you typically put your waste for collection (Just in front of your house?)
2.  What time is the collection? We know the schedule (what days, which waste category) but none of the sites we looked into specify a collection "time". I presume we cannot just put our garbage at the start of the day, as it is unhygienic for the neighborhood.

I tried calling the Almere city service hotline for more information but I could not get past the Dutch voice prompt :( Learning dutch is definitely the next step, but for now, I am hoping some people who are living in the city of Almere would know the answer to these questions. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

It differs in different Gemeente, In Enschede, they still do doorstep collections, in Almelo (where my daughter lives), there is a central collection point that has a huge underground container under the car park, she accesses it via a shute and card/pin system; there is a limit as to how much she can dispose of monthly; if she exceeds it, she gets a bill.

Best you speak to the Gemeente; perhaps ask a Dutch neighbour to help?

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Cynic, thank you for your response. I'm aware it's different per Gemeente, so I was hoping someone who happens to be in Gemeente Almere would happen to pass by and provide feedback. But you are right, I should probably just try to get the information from a neighbor :)

I just tried the Almere Gemeente website and to be honest, it's not very good; sorry I couldn't be of more help.

No worries buddy, thanks for helping out. :)

Hi,

There isn't a timetable when they are coming fot your disposables, just put the container outside at the right day in the morning and when you come home from work it's empty. :)