Building a House on Zanzibar

My partner and I bought a piece of land on Zanzibar a few months ago. We thought we could start building something next year but we have been told the government have changed laws and from October building proposals will cost 5 times more to be approved. On top of which now they want to take back all land that has not been built on. So now we feel like we are under a load of pressure to come up with a plan and build something straight away. Has anyone else had this experience? Plus I was wondering if anyone out there has had a great experience with a building company and can recommend them to us. Look forward to any responses.

Hi ! I live in Dar but this is happening everywhere in Tanzania, if you have a piece of land or farm and you have not done something for it they are taking it away. I have seen with my own eyes some people's land are taken away, about best building company check your pm

We have just bought the land so it is a bit of a shock. I believe this is also something new on Zanzibar? I would have thought we would get a year to build? Or are there any rules concerning this?

Yes it has been a law  for a long time but the old government didn't put  much emphasis on it but  the current government is implementing that law

Do you know anything about this new law in coming in October that all building approvals will suddenly be 5 times more expensive?

No unfortunately, don't know much about that law

hello

my name is rishi daby and i have been in zanzibar 10 years back and we started constructing a satelite town at nyamanzi fumba zanzibar.

after constructing the low cost show houses at fumba the govt has change the rule and all the mauritian people was deported and the govt has take the houses back.

plz let me know if anything,,

rishi..

Hi Rishi
Do you know why this is? I have not heard this happen in Zanzibar before.

https://www.tanzania-experience.com/blo … ed-houses/

Hello,

We are in similar situation, could you please tell me what amount it will be 5 times more?

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Please register in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Na viel komplizierter als wie im Kanton Zug wird es dort sicher auch
nicht - ausser man kennt sich schon mit den lokalen Eigenheiten,
wie verm. Korruption, schon aus. Gruss aus Lugano

you have not done something for it

what does that mean?

5 times more expensive gives which results? In labour, materials
or aprovement?