Languages learning

Hi everyone,
I plan to learn new languages in Luxembourg to better understand the local culture and make new friends. I wondered which Languages will be more advantageous and commonly used, French or German? And which one is much more easy to learn?

Have you any experience in learning new languages, or any advice for good languages school you ever attended, please feel free to share your idea.

If you also intend to learn new languages, welcome you to join me :D

Best,
Tingting

Hey Tingting,

I found that French is the most useful and more commonly used in Luxembourg than German.  That being said I have survived this long with just English and broken French. Google translate will be your best friend.  I would often ask my colleagues to translate just to verify if its something important.

I totally agree with you. I have began to take French class now although very slow progress was made until now :thanks:

Good luck and hang in there! I get confused on whether a word is in French or Luxembourgish (since I'm not very good in either). I tend to combine the two languages... I do get strange looks from time to time but people tend to give me a pass since I dont look European.

Hello,

Unless you intend to apply for Luxembourg nationality, there is no point in learning Luxembourgish. Because it's a dialect derived from German.

In theory, German and English have common roots. So his oral learning is likely to be easier. But learning to read and write is a nightmare.

French is harder to speak but easier to read and write.

In conclusion, I will advise you French.