The backpacker's guide.

Not strictly an expat related topic, but many expats start their Indonesian adventure with a holiday, and the thread has a lot of handy tips for new expats.

The backpacker's guide.

Never leave your passport with anyone for any reason.
Hotels should photocopy and return it

Keep it light, preferably hand luggage size; saves a ton of messing around at airports.
Pack simple (I know this is harder for girls).

2 pairs of very lightweight trousers.
A bunch of T shirts (It gets hot here so you'll find yourself using at least two per day)
One polo shirt (You'll need this if you visit immigration/other offices as you may not be allowed in without a shirt with a collar and long trousers)
Underwear/socks
I also carry a thermal shirt for colder areas/use on buses and trains (They're totally mad with the air conditioning)
A waterproof coat (Also handy if you're returning home to a cold country/going to cold areas of Indonesia)
A folding baseball cap (The sun kills me if I don't use one)
A roll of soft paper kitchen towels (Don't ask, just thank me later)
A pack of wet tissues - Many washrooms don't have soap.
A microfiber towel
A couple of black bin liners - when you first visit a bus rest stop toilet/washroom, you'll understand. The floor are often soaking wet and there's rarely anywhere to hang your bag/clothes.

A super light sleeping bag - make it yourself.
Take a piece of thin cotton material, at least one meter wide and two and a half times your height.
Sew it to turn it into a long bag, open at one end only.
Many budget hotels have no bed sheets but they do have free biting insects - sleep in that and you'll save yourself a world of grief.
I still carry mine when I wander.
Tip - squirt insect repellent on the outside at the open end and the ants won't walk inside.
Tip - This can also be used as a wrap to keep you warm on buses and trains.

When you arrive, go directly to Alfamart and buy:
a folding travel toothbrush (Rp10,00)
Small sachets of shampoo (About Rp1,00/each)
a bar of soap (Rp 3,000)
Many budget hotels don't provide these.
Suncream (if required)
Small sachets  or a small tube of insect repellent (you'll need those at night)

Pack that lot into a light rucksack (without a frame), and you're good for a week or more.
Laundry in the most expensive places is Rp10,000/kg for next day service.

Use a waist hidden wallet for your passport, all your credit cards and larger amounts of cash, leaving only a smaller amount for daily use.
I use a neck wallet for that as it's very easy to get to but hard to steal from without you noticing.

Careful on buses and trains - keep your stuff close and cash out of sight. When the bus stops for a break - take your stuff with you.

I always book two seats on the bus - that way you can stretch out or even lie down on the seat; your soft backpack is handy as a pillow.
Always use an air conditioned bus. If it gets too cold, use the home made sleeping bag to stay warm.
Cross country train seats are wide - one is fine.

In most of Indonesia, air conditioned rooms are best, but you won't need hot water.
In cold areas (Such as Wonosobo), you won't need the air con but hot water is a serious bonus.

Renting a motorbike for your holiday

Many companies sell this idea, and some expat publications push it, but you have to be very careful.
A few main issues come to mind:

It's very likely to be illegal as most western licences are not valid in Indonesia

If you have an accident it's probably your fault regardless of what happened, especially if you don't have a valid licence.

An accident causing serious injury to anyone is likely to get very expensive as there is unlikely to be any insurance that covers you. Don't even think about an accident that causes death.
My odd visits to Indonesian prisons was easily enough to strongly suggest you don't do anything to be a resident in one.

Your holiday medical insurance probably won't cover injuries from a motorcycle crash as you were probably riding illegally.

HOTELS

Reviews of a few hotels can be found here.
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 28#3282278

Unmarried couples living together can, on rare occasions, face problems.
I saw a couple, Indonesian man with foreign girlfriend check into a hotel, the policeman I was with asked me if I thought they were married.
I asked him if he really wanted to know the answer.
The police (in general) aren't interested in upsetting tourists but it's something to keep in mind.

On another occasion, after a very long hard trip, we checked into the first hotel we saw, intending to move the next day when we weren't so tired.
About midnight, the Sat PP were hammering at a the door, looking for men with prostitutes.
When he saw my kid in bed with us, he buggered off, all apologetic.
However, I wandered out and noticed a lot of empty rooms with the doors left open.
I suspect that trade was common in that hotel.
The moral of the story is, single men don't bother, and everyone else be a little careful as to the hotel you choose.

Most hotels ask you to leave a form of identification when you check in, but I would strongly advise you not to leave your passport as they are of great value on the black market.
For tourists, I strongly suggest keeping your passport hidden away and giving a photocopy to the hotel.

No one has ever asked me for a credit card when booking a room.

Added - I've stayed in a wide variety of hotel rooms from very basic backpacker style to several of the very nice Aston hotels (and they are very, very nice - terrific breakfasts - I strongly recommend Aston hotels).

There are many booking sites on the net, but I've only ever used Agoda and Traveloka.
My preference has always been Agoda but others prefer one of the many other sites. The reason I stick with Agoda is they were extremely helpful the one occasion I had a problem. As I know they were so good, I tend to stick with them.
If you're out and about, google maps will display all local hotels for you, and link directly to booking sites, usually listing the price offered by each one.

Alcohol - Advice that could save your life.

Alcohol is quite expensive in Indonesia but don't let that tempt you into buying cheap stuff from local shops.
The chains, Alfamart, Indomaret, and so on, are no longer legal outlets, but it is legally available in supermarkets and many other shops.

Some areas now have a total ban on alcohol sales. Whilst this is often unpopular with expats, it's very popular with most locals (or they simply don't care) as they don't drink anyway.

Many small shops sell cheap gin, whisky or whatever but the stuff is laced with methanol, bleach and various other nasties that'll likely put you in hospital or a morgue.

Locals sometimes die of it as two lads in Wonosobo did when I lived there but it's also been known to kill tourists.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … drink.html

The father of a young British backpacker who died after drinking poisonous gin has flown around the world in a bid to catch the people who sold her the lethal substance.
Brenton Emmons, 47, has travelled more than 8,000 miles to Indonesia after his daughter, Cheznye, tragically died there in April.

This stuff is common all over Indonesia so, to be safe, NEVER buy alcoholic drinks except in known shops.

indostocks wrote:

RE: Alcohol consumption. Very good advice, Mas Fred!

Just my extra 2 sen...

Western spirit are extremely expensive in Indonesia so if you can find a local source for safe alcohol then treat them well. Manado and environs are sources for palm wine. Flores and the Batak region of Northern Sumatra are also places where locally sourced distillates can be encountered.

Again unless you are buying properly sealed western liquor or beer make sure of your source.

I live in Yogyakarta so I don't drink except for the occasional can or bottle of San Miguel.

Ubudian wrote:

Booze in Bali:

Locally made arak is the high octane spirit of choice among the Balinese, and it is indeed potent.   Various arak cocktails are served in many bars and restaurants, arak madu being probably the most popular.  Arak madu is made with honey and lemon and its quite good.

Most Balinese will agree that the very best arak is made in the Amed, East Bali area.  It is illegal to produce it without a license, but bootlegging is popular here and thus you can find arak at a great many warungs being sold in re-cycled glass bottles.

As previously mentioned, local made stuff is always a drink at your own risk proposition and there are periodic articles in the local papers of a local dying from consuming poisoned arak.  Some idiots think that adding ground down mosquito coils to the arak increases its potency even more. 

There is a licensed local distillery operation in Bali called Bali Moon.  They recently came out with a very high quality vodka which rivals the best and in taste competitions regularly beats Stoli, Absolute and Sky.  Its called Bali 9not after the famed criminals in our prison, but rather to reflect the number of times it is charcoal filtered.  Retail runs about 180k for a 700 ml bottle and I think its only available now on Bali and nowhere on Javabut I could be wrong on that as their intention is to market this in Java eventually.

Bali is also home to a great micro-brewery called Storm Beer.  This is a great quality brewery and they produce five varieties from a hearty stout to a light pale ale.  They are having some problems as of late and production recently stopped.  Hopefully their issues will be resolved soon and production resumed as it is the best beer available on Baliall imports included.

Illegal drugs

A few grams of weed can get you five years in a very nasty prison
A small amount of a class A drug can get you in front of a firing squad

DON'T BRING RECREATIONAL DRUGS INTO INDONESIA

Closed