Registering birth if don't make it to hospital

Hi all..

My family and I are living in Indonesia when our baby is due. What happens if we somehow don't make it to the hospital and the baby is born at home!

I know that midwives can issue you the documentation needed for the official Indonesia birth certificate, which you then take the consulate of country of origin etc..

But what happens if there is no witness?? How can you start the process?

We need to come home eventually and baby would need a passport!!

Just covering all bases,

Mary

If you use a midwife then the mid wife would know. I would also assume someone in the family would know to have spoken to a Dr or even visited a hospital with you.

If you suddenly appear with a baby in your arms someone will ask. Also what about your health and well being?

I suggest if you are here go to a hospital and or a doctor and register so there is a record of you and go from there but I am pretty sure that you would get a certificate of birth. However if you and your husband are not Indonesian then you would still need to go to hospital to get papers to present to immigration.

You should choose your hospital and obstetrician/gynecologist and register there. Once everything is on record then if the baby is born at home the hospital and your doctor will assist and advise you for the birth certificate. If you have any queries about registering the birth and birth certificate and applying for a passport then just contact your nearest Australian embassy as they will be able to give you the correct advice.

MaryIkigai wrote:

But what happens if there is no witness?? How can you start the process?

Apart from being extremely unwise, it's very unusual for expats not to make sure the birth is in hospital.
I would think the baby would be viewed with suspicion.

You are never far away from a midwifes, doctor or hospital
When do you arrive in Indonesia if not already?
When you arrive how long till your partners expected date?
the basics are
Call in for check up (some require to make an appointment most do same day)
Word of mouth or visit hospitals to choose
Job done
If you get to know people have a driver on standby to assist with getting to hospital ( many are willing to assist for such matters)
Any paperwork you have bring to Indonesia if not already get blood group of mum (for emergency only) and if possible weekly blood pressure if mum (both assist with emergency c section)