How do I know landlord owns the property?

Title basically says it all, but again: How can I know 100% Im not being scammed? Im viewing a place today,and Id like to know just how can I be sure Im talking with the owner? Do I ask for ID or tax records? I dont want to loose a great place by being to suspicious since I have to find a new roof before 25th, but I cant afford loosing all the money I got on a scam either.

Tiham87 wrote:

Title basically says it all, but again: How can I know 100% Im not being scammed? Im viewing a place today,and Id like to know just how can I be sure Im talking with the owner? Do I ask for ID or tax records? I dont want to loose a great place by being to suspicious since I have to find a new roof before 25th, but I cant afford loosing all the money I got on a scam either.

Follow your gut instincts - walk away.

Tiham87 wrote:

The vast majority are OK although they may well be after as much as possible. I would not start by 
asking to see tax records as they will mostly run a mile, not because they don't own the property but because the tax man knows nothing about that income!
It is normal to put everybody's ID number on the lease contract and if you were filling in form 'H' for ARMS then you would need a photocopy of the Landlords ID anyway, but it is not proof they own the property. You could also ask to see a utility bill to see if the landlords name is on it.
Similarly, I believe landlords have to have an energy assessment done on a property they are letting so you could ask to see a copy of that, which would probably have their name on it. (If they have bothered to get one done!)

Alternatively, you could go through an agent.

Ray