Vientiane -- General Questions

Hi everyone,

Uncertain how active this forum is, but can't hurt to try.  After a 4 month stint back in Canada, looks like I'm off to SE Asia again, this time Vientiane to reconnect with my spouse.  I'm a 36 year old Canadian, and lived in Khon Kaen for 8 years, so can't forsee any issues with adapting to the culture or anything, as Vientiane was just a couple hours down the road from me.

Only couple questions really:

1 Year Business VISA
Apparently, $600 USD and I get a 1 year business VISA, no questions asked.  It's through my spouses's friend, and I'm uncertain how risky it is.  Basically they have a family company, I get registered as an employee, takes ~25 days to process, then I need to leave and re-enter the country to activate the 1 year VISA.  Sounds like they do this quite often, and it isn't a big deal.  Is there any cause for concern here, or am I fine?

I overstayed in Thailand for quite a while, and don't want to be in the same position again.  Already (most likely) lost my dogs because of it.  I work from home as a software engineer, hence location independent, and not really elegible for any VISAs.  Plus we're a gay couple, so marriage is out, at least in Laos.  Possible in Canada though, but not Laos.

We need to be back living together tohugh.  Any insight into that 1 year business VISA?  Sounds fine at least.

Housing
My only requirements really are private swimming pool, and Western kitchen (4 burner stove, full size oven).  Ccupboards would be nice, but I can always buy a cabinet unit again.  I think about $1200 USD/month should be fine, right?

Also, Laos generally requires no damage deposit but 6 or 12 months upfront, right?  I don't forsee this being a problem either, but what I want to do is pay one month to get the keys, then pay the remaining 5 months a week or two later.  I'm not really comfortable forking over $7200 USD for a house I've never slept in before.  I want a week or two to ensure everything works, the area is decent, I can walk to the local shops without large, angry dogs wanting to rip my head off, etc.  That should be fine, right?  Can't forsee a problem getting an owner to agree to that at least.

I've been to Vientiane a few times, but don't really know the city.  My spouse has been there more than me, but doesn't know the city all that well either.  Any advice on locattion would be great.

Biggest thing is I went blind a couple years ago due to optic nerve damage.  What I'd like is exactly what we had in Khon Kaen.  Nice house in a peaceful neighnorhood, several little mom and pop shops in short walking distance, night market close by to get fresh veggies, meat, fish, etc., barbershop around the corner, etc.  I'll have my husband around to do the shopping of course, but it's nice to be able to head out to the shops on my own to grab some water, beer, cooking oil, rice, soap, or whatever. 

That, and the whole community spirit that comes with communities out there.  Lots of people always walking around, the mom and pop shops double as their living residence so it's family run, everyone in the area somewhat knows each other, etc.  Just that general communal spirit I like, and is actually why I prefer Asia to the West.  I'm not much for the isolated nature of Canadian society.  I like my privacy and everything too, but geez, they overdo it a little here.

Oh, annd is possible some type of taxi / tuk-tuk stand close by in walking distance would be amazing, although definitely not a requirement.  Anyway, if anyone has any advice on a decent location in Vientiane, would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and if anyone knows some good property agents that could show us around to a few houses while we choose one, that would be awesome as well.

Thanks for your time guys.  Should be in Vientiane in a couple weeks to start our next journey in life.  Then of course, if anyone is ever up for some dinner and drinks or something, don't hesitate to drop me a line.  We're both really friendly, easy going guys.

Hi and welcome to the forum

The business visa will be okay if it is done through a legitimate company.
As far as housing goes the are plenty of real estate agents to be found online and often you will find places advertised in the windows of shops where expats go.

Finding somewhere quiet in Vientiane may be a bit of a problem. All noise here unfortunately. Perhaps your partners family or friends may assist in this.

Keep us informed as to how you get on.