Estate agent fees

Hi,

Can someone tell me what is the custom for charging estate agent fees in Valencia province? Is it normal for the buyer to pay and what is the percentage paid normally? I read that it is different in different areas.

Thank you,

Aysha

Hi AyshaK,

The average fee is about 3% + VAT, but in cities and turist areas (coast, etc) they can charge 5 or 6%.

There are some Estate Agencies that divide their fees between buyer and seller, others only charge it to seller.

If you understand a bit of Spanish you can read this article (or with google translator):

https://www.idealista.com/news/inmobili … ta?sf_ua=1

Also, now there are virtual Estate Agencies, a lot cheaper but with limited services:
https://www.inmoblog.com/uberizacion-se … biliarios/

They call it “uber-ization” making prices cheaper like with taxis and Uber.

Kind regards

Jesús.

Whilst there are generally established  commission rates for buy/selling property in various areas there are no legal regulations,  so an agency can charge as little as they like or as much as they can get away with.   In Marbella I know of one agency that charges 7.5%

The charge is in effect added to the price of the property so the buyer pays or if the property is maybe reduced in order to get a sale, it would then appear the seller is losing more of the sale price.   In practice the buyer is going to pay the agreed price, the agent will deduct their fee and the IVA and the seller will get whats left.

Hi Aysha!

I can tell only about renting because I was renting house in Spain for several years.
Commission of an agency in Spain doesn't depend on the area. It depends on the agreement with the owner of the property. For example,  some owners can pay 50% of an agency commission and you pay another 50%. And in other cases you have to pay full 100% commission. I used a good website [link moderated] when looking for real estate in Spain because they provide me for free several agencies that look for options based on my request and I choose the one I want to pay and take without any obligations. Was quiet easy and cheap.

If you have more questions please don't hesitate to ask)))

Miss. 
The question referred to ‘the buyer' thus it would seem to be about buying and selling not letting and renting.

Thanks John, That's a good point, that you pay the fees one way or another.