Driving/Bringing Dubai Number Plate Car in Saudi

Hi Guys,
I need quick advise on my case.
I have dual residency Dubai and Saudi.
I am physically locating from Dubai to Saudi and  still will be keeping my both the residencies.
My question is it possible to drive my car from Dubai and bring in Saudi and keep driving the Dubai number plate car in Saudi without converting to Saudi number plate.

Please advise if someone has experienced the same before.

Regards,

I would have the same question if anyone can help.
Also how long you can keep your dubai plated car in KSA?
Any help would be highly appreciated

I don't know for sure but a friend was in a similar situation and found out that the car needed to exit from Saudi every 3-4 weeks for him to be able to keep doing this.  He just did the Bahrain run once every month.  I am not sure of what the rules are like nowadays. 

But practically speaking, to be fully legal and kosher, you would need to export the vehicle from Dubai and bring it into Saudi and convert the number plates.

I was told 6 months you can keep either KSA or UAE plates at either or countries.
Who could confirm this?

Check with the traffic department - go in person.  And take an Arabic speaker with you.

@mudassar415 hi man! I have the same situation! Any update

Thanks!
No update.

But as I mentioned, I have been driving a Bahrain number plate car in Saudi since the last two years.  The only difference is, I go to Bahrain every weekend.  Never had problems.   

The problems happen when you keep the car full time in Saudi and don't exit regularly.  This then means that you are RESIDENT here and thus, must export and import the car into Saudi.   And then when you go to exit, you get hit with fines at the land border.

any update, I am in the same situation.

currently keeping dual residence and willing to drive a car with Dubai/Sharjah number plate in Saudi Arabia.

I am guessing. we'll have to buy insurance for 6 months and can drive. but, looking for confirmation from an experienced person.

Some people hold Saudi Iqama with Bahrain residency, and use Bahrain car number plates with insurance in Saudi Arabia. accordingly, it should be the same with UAE cars.

thanks

To clarify, the Bahrain cars you are referring to, get comprehensive insurance IN BAHRAIN and then buy a third party insurance ONLY, at the causeway.   This is what I have been doing for years.  I have Bahrain residence plus Saudi Iqama.

You CANNOT buy comprehensive insurance inside Saudi for foreign plate car.  In your case, you have to have insurance with GCC cover in UAE and then buy a third party insurance at the Saudi border entrance.  This can be for a year.   The Saudi insurance only covers third party damage and NOT damage to your car.   That is why it is cheap.

And you can keep the car inside Saudi for 3 months after which it needs to exit.  Otherwise fine of 20 SAR a day.  Here is the ZATCA announcement from Saudi Gazette:

https://saudigazette.com.sa/article/621649

@XTang Hi    Good Day

Many thanks for the valuable information.

I was actually looking for the same..

Salman

I have exactly the same query for a vehicle with Dubai number plate and having both uae residency and Saudi iqama.

My queries are:

• For how long can i keep a Dubai number plate car in Saudi before i have to exit the car.
  • I have a 7-seater Prado, is there any binding for 7-seater?
  • The car model is 2016 but is in very good condition to be kept with me. Is there any binding on the model year.

I have answered this above clearly.  Read post #9 above.  None of the other stuff that you asked about has any bearing on my answer.

I have question about car violation in ksa

Am using my dubai registered car in ksa

I have to pay fine for Radars or not.

Please suggest

Depends on the camera and registration process at the border. I have never paid one on Bahrain car in 7 years but some friends have.

@XTang

Can you confirm if you or someone has actually paid this over stay fine of 20sar on the border? Would be really helpful

To answer both posters:

Look, as far as I know, you pay radar fine only in the below situations:

1) You were flashed by the new Saher cameras

2) You entered Saudi from a land border e.g. Bahrain and then exited via ANOTHER land border (meaning you didn't go back to Bahrain but went to UAE or Jordan).  When this happens, they send you into customs to issue an exit slip.  Your car data is captured.  Congratulations, now all radars in Saudi will have your car data and you will have to pay fines if you exit Saudi

Both situations have happened to friends of mine.

On the overstay fines, I have already said that some friends had to pay the overstay fine on the car.  And some didn't.

@XTang

https://eservices.zatca.gov.sa/sites/sc … D8%A9.aspx

What's your take on this? It is mentioned on zatca's official website other than 'gcc countries', so i guess 3 months doesn't apply on gcc cars, my case is UAE car

@mudassar415

i have just got my car from Dubai - you can drive your car for a year in Saudi after getting a tourist passport from RTA in Dubai. if your insurance covers GCC you are okay if you are in an accident and it is not your fault however you need to get a 3rd part insurance when your car is in Saudi to cover any accident if it's your fault which i still don't know how to obtain that !!!

Third party insurance is purchased at the land border of entry.

@Azita Nelson@Azita Nelson

Thanks for this. How did you apply RTA tourist passport? Any particular location?

Hi all. Firstly, thanks to all for the information. Very helpful.

I had a new question:

I have brought a car successfully to Riyadh from Dubai(anyone needing info on that, iam here to help).

I am hoping now to bring my wife's car as well.

Anyone have an idea if I can get a second car as well through the same channels.

Background: have dubai residency, and ksa residency. Both cars are older than 5 years, hencr can't bring them permanently.

Yes

@XTang

Thanks. Iam assuming your Yes was towards my question: that multiple cars under one iqama and UAE residency can be brought in. Thank you. Any other referencial info/feedback - I shall appreciate immensely.

You are not bringing in any car under your iqama.  I think that is the part you need to be clear about.  This has nothing to do with your Iqama.   All you are doing is driving a foreign registered car into Saudi and for that, as long as you have the right papers & insurance, there is no barrier. 

Hey guys,

my questions probably have been answered but its impossible to find something on this forum.

Saudi + Dubai Resident travelling to KSA on Dubai plates

Do i need tourism certificate from RTA? RTA asked me for something from Emirates Auto Club that cant be reached by phone.

Any guidance or links appreciated !

Many people have been asked for this certificate at the border.  You need to go there and get it - I think it's called a carnet de passage.

@mudassar415

Hi,

I just came from Abu Dhabi and I have same situation with you.

• Make sure the car register under your name. If it is under mortgage you can not travel.
  • I made a GCC insurances by ENBD as the other companies do not have  ( not mandatory)
  • You have to make a Saudi insurance at the border ( I made for 1 year and cost me 1200 SAR)
  • Every 6 months you have make in and out ( can be Qatar, Bahrain, UEA)
  • After border there is a gas station make sure full you car, visit WC, buy some snack otherwise all the way to Riyadh there was very less option the road I used.
  • The speed limit same like Abu Dhabi. There is not exception like Dubai. If 120 drive 120.
  • Google map showed me 2 option. I choosed the one which was strait but next time I will use the one from Dammam side.

Hope these are helpful.

Good update. Just to add to that:

1) Speed limit may be 120, but the camera won't flash until you are around 129-130.  The speed limit on major intercity roads eg Riyadh Dammam road is 140.  I put the car on cruise control at 148 - no flash. You probably chose the option of passing through Hofuf / Haradh side which honestly is the worst route

2) You can travel with mortgage but the bank has to give NOC

Hi guys - need help with the same issue.

I have residence visas in both UAE and KSA. i want to take my F150 (2020 model) truck to Riyadh and drive on the Dubai registered plate. I want to keep the truck there for a couple of years and i understand from the above that i would need to move it to UAE every year.

can you please help with the following:

is it allowed to drive a pick up truck on dubai plates?

do i need this carnet NOC to apply for the dubai toursim certificate? The carner website says the NOC is valid for 6 months, can i get a longer duration NOC for 12months

for insurance, i have UAE comprehensive insurance and am assuming that I need to get KSA third party insurance. Do we know how much that would generally cost?

please can you let me know.

@imakha40

hi there can you please assist with my post.

do i need a carnet de passage to ship the car from dubai to riyadh? I am planning to drive it on the dubai license plate

@aliiinal85

Hi hope you are well.  Assuming you might have answer for me. I have both countries residencies at the moment (UAE+KSA). I brought my dubai plate car last year in June 2023. Took the 3rd party insurance for 1year. In september 2023 I had to go back to dubai and came back again in KSA. Last time i did the exit re-entry from Bahrain border in November 2023. Now i'm afraid its been more than 3 Months i did the exit re-entry of my dubai vehicle. Do i have to pay any overstaying vehicle fine for that? Please respond if anyone has this information.  Is it okay if can use card inside the kingdom stay for 6 months? Because in online it says you can use the vehicle for 90days inside the kingdom. You can write me an email with your answer: ***

Additional information:

Guys I've received fines on my dubai vehicle and received those messages from Muroor. Phone camers+ Over speeding flash camera. At the dubai border no one asked me for RTA Tourism certifcate. I've been there 2 times. Now, I'm not sure if they are asking for it or not.

Moderated by Bhavna last month
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct