Best way to look for a job in Jakarta

Hi guys,

I am a NZ citizen with Masters of Professional Studies in International Relations from Auckland University. I originally come from Pakistan but I grew up in New Zealand. I am in Auckland at the moment.

My girlfriend is in Jakarta and she wants me to move there. She keeps on sending me random jobs but a lot of times they are jobs for locals. I considered EF English first but they pay very little and the visa stuff seems rather shady.

I have previously taught IELTS to adults and I am quite good at teaching and at administrative duties with a sound knowledge of technology.

I was wondering where should I start in looking for work in Jakarta? Any tips?

Would you guys be aware of any websites or job boards. I am considering doing a CELTA but I have heard that if you do not have a degree in education, it is hard to get a visa approved as an English teacher? My undergrad was in communication studies from AUT University, Auckland. I have also heard that if you do not look like a 'westerner', you will have issues looking for English teaching work.

Any help will be much appreciated and will make my girlfriend very happy.

The only website I could advise that will notify of up to the minute vaccines in your chosen location is LinkedIn
As I changed my location to Indonesia it makes it easier for that location
Though in part it is true to have a degree to work in Indonesia many companies have an exemption or agreement with the local manpower authorities but does depend on your position and actual job therefore it's not an absolute truth or fact that a degree is needed (but does more good than harm) also on the manpower part in Indonesia it states if no degree 5+ years proven experience with that position as a minimum

I could be wrong but I understand it could be easier to teach as you've suggested
Is your girlfriend Indonesian? If so you could get sponsorship to stay but not work
If not but was married you could do similar but not work
You could also use LinkedIn for the large service companies (oil and gas etc) as quite a few similar jobs you mention pop up for expats within Indonesia
Worth a look

Getting here and staying here is easy IF you're married to an Indonesian but a girlfriend can  sponsor you for a 60 day sosbud.
That, with the correct set of documents, is easily enough time to get married and start a KITAS application.
Neither of these allow work of any sort so you're back to square one as far as that goes AND immigration may well ask for proof you're able to support yourself or your girlfriend is able to support you for the duration of your SosBud/KITAS.
You're supposed to have an English degree to teach English but the rules seems to be somewhat flexible. As sad as it is true, white faces generally find it easier to get work as English teachers here.

Good morning fahadsherh,

In addition to the many ways of finding a job in Jakarta, we have a jobs section at the top of the page where you can advertise yourself and wait for the feedback. And best of all IT'S FREE!

Cheers.

Take your celta.
Try jobsdb or jobstreet and apply to any school that is looking for a teacher. If you have a NZ passport, degree and write a good CV then there is a good chace of an offer.

You should also include a picture as well. You could so send your CV to private language schools as well such ILP, Wall Street, EF etc. and see if they reply.

The white face issue has and always will remain an issue but it doesn't mean that work is impossible to find that's for sure.

Thank you guys for all the messages. I really appreciate and I will work on all of the above tips.