New to site

Hello all,

Thinking of retiring in Mexico and am on a search for information on different expat towns. I don't speak much/little/no Spanish so I would like find to somewhere where English is spoken openly by the Mexican population. I am in the process of learning it now.
I am planning a trip next month to Ajijic, to 'get my feet wet' so to speak but am open to other areas as well.
I am presently living in Prescott, Arizona and am in the process of divorce.

Thanks,

Jim

We are headed to Tulum.  We live in Walnut Creek (East Bay Area) in Cali.  I'm documenting our move in my blog: 

USADIOS.COM

Let me know if you like it or have any questions about Tulum.  We own a home there now.

Thanks and good luck,

Jim Reno

Hi ! We just moved to Playa Del Carmen. We love it here! Beautiful international city. Every time I try to practice my very poor spainish the Mexican people here laugh at me and speak English. Very difficult to practice lol

Getmeoutahere wrote:

Hi ! We just moved to Playa Del Carmen. We love it here! Beautiful international city. Every time I try to practice my very poor spainish the Mexican people here laugh at me and speak English. Very difficult to practice lol

I have never had any Mexican laugh at me when I make a mistake in Spanish or mispronounce words. This is considered very rude in the Mexican culture.

You will never keep up with the speed at which the locals speak anyway.  Keep practicing so you don't sound like you just got off the plane, work on your speed and local vernacular.  You'll get there.  And if anyone laughs at you for trying to speak their language, let them.  They sound silly to us, too!  It's give and take, right?  Good luck!  BTW:  check out my blog at usadios.com where I talk about my family as we  transition from California to Tulum, Mexico.  Adios!

When I say shoes instead of Saturday I laugh right along with them. If I'm not offended why should you be.

Thanks! I have been in Mexico about 2 or 3 years, permanent resident .  I will keep trying and taking Spainish classes . I Started out in Ajijic and just came to Playa Del Carmen. I am from southern Cali desert  and spent 10 years in Florida that helped me with the weather here, almost identical to Miami. Will check out your blog have fun !

Zapatas vs. Sabado?  Hmmmm, I don't seem to confuse those words in Spanish.  :)