Travel to Brazil with Expired RNE

Hello,

I saw a similar topic in the forum related to this question, but there was no final answer. Hoping someone can help me.

My RNE has just expired, but I do carry a permanent visa. I travel to Brazil regularly for business.  Am I allowed to enter the country on an expired RNE and am I obligated to renew it?  In other words, given that I travel to Brazil very regularly, is my permanent visa VIPER still active and legitimate?

Thank you,
Erich

Erich,
My understanding is that, although they're not granting them anymore, your VIPER (I have one too) was grandfathered into the new system, as long as you're not out of the country longer that two continuous years, and keep your RNE (now RNM) current.  If you've been gone less than two years, you should be able to come back on your VIPER, but should renew your RNM ASAP after arrival.

Thank you for the response. I'm going to take a chance and hope they let me in this time. If they do, I'll get this sorted out ASAP.
Given that I no longer live in Brazil though, I'm not even sure if I can qualify for anything other than a tourist visa.

Under the current regulations, that's almost certainly true.  But your status under the old regulations was grandfathered in, so, if you think it's worthwhile for you to keep it and that you can continue to meet the documentation requirements, I don't believe that you have any obligation to surrender it voluntarily.

So, I WAS able to get into Brazil today with my expiring RNE. My RNE expires today, so I actually moved my flight up to arrive on the last day my RNE was active. Brazil Customs did challenge me about my status and they asked to see my papers for RNE renewal.  Luckily, I did bring the papers with me, including passport photos, and I was let through.

Thank you for the advice. I hope this helps someone in the future too.

Erich

Ehrich

Great news - so happy for you.  Smart move, changing the flight. Congratulations!